4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions for the most knowledgeable

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
00o00colin00o00

Default questions for the most knowledgeable

So I have become attached to this forum pretty quickly, everyone is knowledgeable and nice and it is overflowing with information.
Pretty soon I hope to start looking for my very own mustang GT to buy. I would like a99-04 GT preferable. I’ve been searching 1999 mostly because there are many more in my price range. But thena couple questions popped up that I think you guys can answer.

What mileage is TOO much?

How long do these engines last for the most part (mileage)?

What’s everyone’s favorite color combo? (Not really related, I’m just curious. I like black, white, or silver exterior, with a black interior)

What should I be looking for as far as options go? Are there any that I HAVE to have?

What should I be looking to avoid, what is a good sign to run away?

What are the major questions I should ask the owner/seller?

thanks millions
Colin
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: questions for the most knowledgeable

99-mid01's had the T45 trans if manual and the later 01-04's had the 3650 trans. which are suppose to be little beefier???? Make sure the car goes into reverse, reciepts are always a plus. earlier models had all plastic lower intake manifolds that tend to crack aroung the thermostat housing. Ford made Aluminum X-over ones that preveted this.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00o00colin00o00

What mileage is TOO much?

How long do these engines last for the most part (mileage)?
If taken care of properly, the engine will last for a while.
What’s everyone’s favorite color combo? (Not really related, I’m just curious. I like black, white, or silver exterior, with a black interior)
Black stinks [sm=boosign.gif]get grey and be happy!

What should I be looking for as far as options go? Are there any that I HAVE to have?
Gears, Long Tubes, mid pipeand springs!

What should I be looking to avoid, what is a good sign to run away?
High mileage depending on the year! Noise from the engine, tranny or rear end.

What are the major questions I should ask the owner/seller?
What's making you sell this piece of American History?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

So I have become attached to this forum pretty quickly, everyone is knowledgeable and nice and it is overflowing with information.
Pretty soon I hope to start looking for my very own mustang GT to buy. I would like a99-04 GT preferable. I’ve been searching 1999 mostly because there are many more in my price range. But thena couple questions popped up that I think you guys can answer.

What mileage is TOO much? Over 80,000

How long do these engines last for the most part (mileage)? A long time if taken care of.

What’s everyone’s favorite color combo? (Not really related, I’m just curious. I like black, white, or silver exterior, with a black interior)White FTW. They are the fastest color.

What should I be looking for as far as options go? Are there any that I HAVE to have? Try to find ones without traction control and abs. You won't want traction control anyway.

What should I be looking to avoid, what is a good sign to run away? Look for mods. If there are any be wary of buying it. More than likely the owner drove it hard all the time. If there are no mods look for rounded off bolts. That means it was modded and to stay away from it.

What are the major questions I should ask the owner/seller? Maintance reciepts.

thanks millions
Colin
Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

engine life: thats hard to say. it all depends on how well the car was treated (how hard it was driven, city or highway miles, how well it was maintained, etc... i wouldnt buy one over 80k as oxford said, should still be a few years of good life left in the motor if u buy it around there.

color combo: i like most every color, the color doesnt matter, the mods that set the cars coloroff are what make it count.

options: they all come with the basic necessities. power seats would be one if you want those (i reccomend those, you cant adjust height or tilt on the manual seats). traction control needs to die though, thats an option i wish i didnt have [:@]

look for: if its a manual how well the clutch engages. make sure its not on its last leg. auto make sure it shifts smoothe, all stuff you could tell by driving. make sure to hit the gas (or ask the owner to floor it and let him get through a gear or two in either manual or auto). some problems wont arise until the engine is under more stress than "granny" driving. i testdrove one that when you hammered the gas the car would shutter. guy told me it was probably a bad spark plug wire and i asked if it was something that inexpensive why it wasnt fixed yet. no good answer, walked away. check the motor out, mainly the intake manifold. they have a tendancy to crack. mine was cracked when i got it and the only way to tell it was ****ed was to drive the car enuff to heat the engine then pop the hood (the pressure increase from antifreeze warming up was enuff to make it squirt out of the small crack near the thermostat). front end alignment, check the tread on the tires, check the fluid levels...if they are low the guy probably doesnt take care of the car worth a ****. see when the last oil change was, if its overdue the guy again probably doesnt take care of his car worth a ****. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO PASS A CAR UP. mustangs are dime a dozen dont jump on the first one you see in your price range. get a knowledgable friend or family member to look at the car with you, use their judgement. they dont want the car so they will find things wrong with it you are willing to overlook. listen for knocks and noises comming from the motor. check the belt out. other than that theres not a whole lot you can do.

ask them why they are selling it obviously. how often maintenance was done, ask them what all has been done (plugs, oil, tranny fluid, etc...). use your judgement on their answer sometimes ppl give kinda bull**** reasons for selling. talk to the seller if its a private seller, get a feel for who they are as a person. did they clean the car up real nice? are they a clean person? their house trashed? if the person doesnt take care of themself or their house would they take care of a car? nope.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 AM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

try not to buy one that has "SRS" on the steering wheel or dash (they tend to be slower)
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

no only kidding, good on you for getting a mustang i love mine althought the 2001 up have different hood and side scoops and a slightly different interior. i kinda wish i had held out for a 2001 up but i wanted a black vert with a black leather interior and black roof and the price was right
Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
00o00colin00o00

hey thanks for all the answers guys! even though your only kidding with "SRS", what does it mean?

sorry for the stupidity
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM
dtkikols
2nd Gear Member

hey thanks for all the answers guys! even though your only kidding with "SRS", what does it mean?

sorry for the stupidity

i think it has to do with the airbags???
Old 10-31-2007, 04:18 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

SRS means safety restraint system. you know as in the seatbelts restraint you while driving as in the air bag restraints you to avoid the MUTHAF****' STURRN WHEEL

Quick Reply: questions for the most knowledgeable