4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Using a screwdriver to listen for ticks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Using a screwdriver to listen for ticks

I think I might hear a knocking in my passenger side valve cover. Is the technique for listening to it closely putting a screwdriver up to it and putting your ear on the handle? I can't remember what the exact way is, can someone remind me?

Also, if I do have a broken valve spring, what will it sound like? How fast will it be knocking? Essentially, how do I know I now have an excuse to put PI heads on there?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Using a screwdriver to listen for ticks

I have used a broom handle back in the day on my 1979 GMC Sierra Classic

later
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

I think I might hear a knocking in my passenger side valve cover. Is the technique for listening to it closely putting a screwdriver up to it and putting your ear on the handle? I can't remember what the exact way is, can someone remind me?

Also, if I do have a broken valve spring, what will it sound like? How fast will it be knocking? Essentially, how do I know I now have an excuse to put PI heads on there?
You have the idea, but its going to be hard to tell just from listening.

Edit: if a valvespring is broken, it will make a hell of a racket. You will eithe rhave the valve embedded into the piston or smashed up into the head, or both.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 AM
HypnoStang
I ♥ Acer

If you can already hear it, why do you need to put a screwdriver to it?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HypnoStang

That is because I can't hear it very well. I know something is ticking, but I can't narrow down exactly where it's coming from. From the inside of the car, it actually kind of sounds like a deasil(sp?) engine's idle. That is when I hear it most: at idle. I just need to try to find out what it is and ensure that when I put the blower on I'm not going to ruin my engine.

2000GT4.6, good point on the valve dropping in. I didn't think of that. But what else could it be if it's around the valve cover? I'm going to listen to it tonight, I'm just trying to get some insight beforehand.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

That is because I can't hear it very well. I know something is ticking, but I can't narrow down exactly where it's coming from. From the inside of the car, it actually kind of sounds like a deasil(sp?) engine's idle. That is when I hear it most: at idle. I just need to try to find out what it is and ensure that when I put the blower on I'm not going to ruin my engine.

2000GT4.6, good point on the valve dropping in. I didn't think of that. But what else could it be if it's around the valve cover? I'm going to listen to it tonight, I'm just trying to get some insight beforehand.
Could be anyhthing... exhaust leak, valve, valvespring, etc etc etc.

Screw it, just convince yourself its a valve and do the PI swap
Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Could be anyhthing... exhaust leak, valve, valvespring, etc etc etc.

Screw it, just convince yourself its a valve and do the PI swap
I'm getting there, but I have the Vortech to install at the moment. The PI swap is another $1000 if I do it myself, right? And I have no idea how to do either of them I'm just going to take a crap load of pictures and have all you fine people help me put that stuff in. If I could get the entire PI setup AND a tuner for $1000, I would consider doing it at the same time as the Vortech.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Just BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!
No loose clothing, long hair, neck ties, hood ties, gold chains etc.....