4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help engine noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
brother_goot

Default help engine noise!!!

hey guys! well i am new to this forum and just lookin for someone who knows maybe a little more than me about this issue.
I have a 2000 Ford Mustang GT with the 4.6L 281 in it. It has about 55,000 miles on it. Now recently about a thousand miles ago it started making this clicking noise in the engine while it was running, it would get louder at about 3500RPM. now it has seemed to have progressivly gotten worse and now it does it at about 1500 rpm. now a ford mechanic told me a new engine was what i needed, but i am not convinced that a car with 55,000 miles on it and a oil change with ford motocraft synthetic blend motor oil at 2500 miles would need to be replaced. now i also herd from another mechanic that looked at it that it was berrings, so i asked ford if they could do a replacement of the bearings and they told me no, but the other mechanic who is a good friend insisted that he could do it. now would you recomment that i pull the oil pan and see if thats my issue, or pull the whole motor out and do it, if the rod from the crank to the piston is bad i ahve already convinced myself i will totally rebuild it, but if not, is it possible to replace the bearings with the engine intact still??? someone please let me know thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/83591/7B350C3BD55D4A89800B9DC2E36AEDF8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: help engine noise!!!

A lot of us seem to be having these symptoms.. Mine has been diagnosed as timing chain tensioners and guides, all the way to bad bearings.. Search under "weird ticking noise "..... There are some videos and more info..
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

my injectors were loud... but from what i have seen it if probably in the valve train. I honestly think you would get a nastier more knocking noise if it was something broken in the lower end. Tough to tell without hearing.
could be as simple as an exhaust leak though.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sthHW4QDD08

Here is my most recent video.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
brother_goot

my noise isnt as bad as yours 2000GTFOOL but it sounds very similar to that.... but its only at an elevated rpm like when urs reves up it makes the same knocking noise, but at idle my sounds perfect only hearing the exhaust purrrrr.! so maybe if you figure yours out you can let me know what you found.. and i will do the same if i find out what is causing mine. i will be dropping the oil pan tomorrow 11-03-07 to see if it could be the bearings on the crank, if so hopefully i can just replace them without having to remove the crank, but i am also prepared to remove the engine if i have indeed done crank damage :-/
Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

MIne was very faint and only on decel 8 months ago.. THis is 8 months after the noise first started.. Can you take pictures during your pan removal so everyone can see (especially if the bearings are bad) What is the process of telling if the bearings are shot? Is it a visual?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You cannot do a band-aid fix like bearings only. If you do, just paypal me all your cash instead of wasting it with a loser mechanic who would even consider such a hack job.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 PM
brother_goot

i am gonna drop it myself and if its more than the bearings. then i will rebuild the whole motor
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If it is bearing you have to bebuild no matter what. From what it sounds like both of you have spun bearings.

2000gtfool with you driving on it for 8 months your engine is more than likely thrashed. It will have to be bored to fix the scratches in the cylinder walls from the bearing metal shavings being ground in by the rings.

brother_goot If you let that guy just drop the pan and change the bearings you will hear the same sound in a month. When rod and main bearings go they rub groves into the crank journelswhich means the crank needs to either be replaced orturned and bigger bearing installed.

Have you ever tried to put a crank in with rods still in the block. LOL you need 8 hands down there to try to line them all up on the crank. Plus you have to pull the front cover and remove the timing chains to get the crank out and drop the tranny to get to the flywheel and remove the rear main seal. See my point you have to take the engine out and do it right. There is no such thing as a short cut here.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 PM
mustangman36578
2nd Gear Member

that is what my noise in my 2000 GT started like a few months ago and just yesterday i was driving and then at about 3,500 rpm something went cuz it started shaking like crazy and making a very loud knocking noise. im going to drop the pan tomoro and see if i can see any thing. i think it i a connecting rod. any one have any ideas of what else it could be?

Quick Reply: help engine noise!!!