4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Your engine is making the same mine did at the same exact place. I thought it was the tentioner cause I couldnt hear it in the oil pan only on top of the engine. But guess what the oil pan is filled with oil which makes it hard to hear. I tore the engine down and every rod and main bearing was spun. Now I have a forged motor
Oxfordgt will you watch the last vid I posted- http://www.youtube.com/v/nR_xqB7C9Us and tell me if that looks like the normal amount of slack on the timing chain... Your posts always make me 2nd guess my diagnosis..lol..
Old 11-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I just took my valve cover off on thrusday and I had that much slack on mine also. It's def not supposed to have that much slack. When I put the heads back together and the cams in back in april there was no slack in the timing chain.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:33 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Sorry I cant watch the video. I'm in Iraq and on a government computer which won't let you look at stuff like that and ebay and myspace[:@]. But there will be some slack in the chains do to the motor is not running. The tentioners work off of oil pressure and the relax a bit when the engine is off.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Interesting... yeah like I said the chains where tight on mine when I put it together but now thepassanger side has a lot of slack.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Crap.... Well I can walk you through the visual.. I can pick up the chain about 1" off of the cam, there is so much slack that I could have removed it without releasing the tensioners...

BTW- Thanks for all your posts regarding this, and for your service to our country.. I assume the government computer is military...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

also for future reference, notice how in the spun bearing vid the cam is about 10-15 ft from the car, HOOD closed, and the sound is very audible. Timing chain slap will not be as audible, as you have your hood open and are 2 ft from the engine and the noise is just as or maybe even less audible.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:58 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GTFOOL

Crap.... Well I can walk you through the visual.. I can pick up the chain about 1" off of the cam, there is so much slack that I could have removed it without releasing the tensioners...

BTW- Thanks for all your posts regarding this, and for your service to our country.. I assume the government computer is military...
Holy crap! you need to take the front cover off and see whats going on in there. Take pics and post them up on here so I can see.

Yes military computer
Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I'm not an expert but when I put my chains on and the tentioners and everything there was only about a quarter inch if that of slack and now I have about an inch also. I almost guartee it's not supposed to be like that. Like I said before, I had the same slapping noise and just thought it was the chain moving against my guides that are old and the plastic was worn. Now my car won't start. I am going to have it towed to a mechanic who is very good at working on Mustangs and I'll see what he says.

About the spun bearing, my buddy has the same year GT as me and he had a very small knocking/ tapping noise coming from his motor. He had it looked at and it was a spun bearing. He just had his motor rebuilt. We both had two different noises coming from two different spots on the motor. I hope my experiences help.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

I am going to try and get the cover off tomorrow. I have the parts so once it is apart I should be golden. (if it is the tensioners) I will take pictures and make a write-up diary regarding the diagnosis and eventually the fix of the problem.. I can't believe I let it sit for almost a year..
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

That is definitely too much slack. You've got a problem.

Quick Reply: Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE