4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Well the motor is done... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Well the motor is done... suggestions?

Don't quite know yet. They are yanking the motor tomorrow. I'm thinking it was the timing chain since it wasincredibly loose. The motor might be fine with just a few bent valves but while it's out might as well look into getting some goodies.

Mark99GT... the pistons are notched pistons so that I can run a stage 2 cam with 11.2:1 compression. I talked to the guy at the shop and he said he recommends just upping the compression and not getting a stroker kit cause he has done them in the past and people weren't happy and you have to upgrade a lot apparently. He also said we can look into a bunch of different options and that is why I am asking everyone on here. Thanks for your suggestion. I def would love to have the 5.0 stroker.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00TropicGreenStang

I just got word from the shop that the crank won't budge. I knew that before I dropped the car off. We were throwing around some ideas for the motor if it needs a rebuild. I wanted to go with a 5.0 stoker kit but the guy said I would have to get new injectors and such. He suggested since I am p&ping the heads and putting in cams that I should just get domed pistons to increase compression. I'm not trying to spend more then 6k. Any suggestions? Maybe any good short blocks anyone has seen?
Six Grand? Stock motor + mongoose kit FTW!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00TropicGreenStang

Don't quite know yet. They are yanking the motor tomorrow. I'm thinking it was the timing chain since it wasincredibly loose. The motor might be fine with just a few bent valves but while it's out might as well look into getting some goodies.

Mark99GT... the pistons are notched pistons so that I can run a stage 2 cam with 11.2:1 compression. I talked to the guy at the shop and he said he recommends just upping the compression and not getting a stroker kit cause he has done them in the past and people weren't happy and you have to upgrade a lot apparently. He also said we can look into a bunch of different options and that is why I am asking everyone on here. Thanks for your suggestion. I def would love to have the 5.0 stroker.
you realise with a heavy cam + 11.2:1 this is NOT going to be a daily driver anymore right?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Well 6k is the maxand that includes the work they are going to do on it. What do you recomend cam wise? Just going with a stage 1?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Your just not going to run a 11.25:1 comrpession setup as a DD car... it just going to be hairy, your going to need at least 93 (at least) if not some turbo blue etc, and in the end it still isn't gonna run that great.

You could easily get a stock replacement engine + blower setup (w/ tune, mongoose ftw)for 6K, probably even with the engine installed (you can install the blower kit yourself unless your completely clueless on mechanical things).

Otherwise, your looking at doing a forged shortblock (figure 3200+ for a good one with the good toys) 600 on cams, 200 on valvesprings, and another 1400+ on heads plus a HUGE assembly and install fee... you would be lucky to get out anywhere close to 7000, let alone 6k. hell, just cams + install + tune + tuner (chip) ran me right at 1000 bucks at the local shop... and their labor is cheap. All of this for a grand total of maybe 320-340 whp IF you already have all the boltons.

After all of this, its going to be an unstreetable, terrible MPG setup, compared to a FI setup running 8-10 PSI that will be completely streetable, run fine on 93 octane (or even 91 if you get it tuned that way) and still get 21+ MPG (I get 21.5 on the highway with cams + 10 PSI) and it will drive COMPLETELY like stock until you mash the throttle down. figure making 360+ WHP on a stock car, and 385+ on a full boltons already car.

Also, while you have it out, either way you should also plan on replacing the clutch andresurfacing/replacing the flywheel.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah good point. My buddy just got his motor rebuilt and installed by them and it cost 3400 for all stock parts. The guy told me he can get me higher compression pistons if I wanted. I was going to run things over him before it was done obviously. The thing about the s/c is that I always wanted to go FI but thought **** might blow and that my MPG would suffer. You made a good point and that is why I love this site. So I will either look into a lower compression piston or see what the guy can get me FI wise. As for the cams I will most likely go stage 1 cause I don't think I would want to loose all that low end plus the motor won't spin high enough to make that much power up top. I read your write up on cams.

The guy is going to call me back tomorrow or thursday when he gets the motor out. I'm gonna see what the best and most cost efficient rebuild would cost. I'm going to WVU with some buddies to visit some friends so I won't be back til monday and I will let you guys know whats up with everything then. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

3400 for an installed stock motor seems afully high.

I wouldn't have him rebuild your engine, shop around a few junkyards/online and find a used 2v motor with low miles. I was looking on ebay the other day and found a couple with like 20K on them for around 1200-1500 bucks. It should not be MUCH more than say 1000 bucks to remove and install a motor, espcially if you don't currently have LT headers.

Whats the current setup on the car? Is it going to be used as a DD still?

So far as the cams, you won't loose a TON of down low power, just a little, so long as you stay with a stage 1 or stage 2 cam. Its small enough on a 1 or 2 that you probably won't notice it. However, you will definatly want to plan ahead, don't make the mistake I did and put in a N/A cam and then go FI down the road.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

You could run 11.3:1 compression on pump gas if you want to run methonal 24/7. Shoot im having fun enough with my 10.5:1. There is no way i'd go any higher! I have to run premium as is and then when i advance the timing waaaayyy out i have to run race fuel . . .
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Yes car is going to be my DD but I can use my dads V6 stang to get to school if need be (about 50 mile round trip). They charged my buddy 1200 bucks to take his motor out and put it back in and that is because he has LTs as do I. He also had his heads reconditioned with seals, resurfaced, and valves worked on all for the 3400. My heads where just reconditioned like 2000 miles ago so that won't be needed. The guy said he will rebuild the motor with stock parts for about 2800-3000 since I don't need the heads reconditioned. I told him I might wanna get the heads p&ped since they will be off and get a stage 1 or stage 2 cam. He also asked if I want anything done to the internals while it was out and I said I wanted to either get the 5.0 stroker or just raise the compression so he said he will see what we can do. Also I know bout the N/A and blower cams and I always wanted to go FI but I was thinking about just leaving it N/A cause I didn't wanna spend too much on this car.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

So do you have any problems running 10.5:1 compression? How is your fuel econemy and how does your car run?

Quick Reply: Well the motor is done... suggestions?