4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust: what's legal and what's not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust: what's legal and what's not?

Even with LTs and MIl eliminators of you go off road, your CEL can still come on, mine used to til I got it turned off
Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't go with a catted Prochamber... that will make you're ride uber quiet.
A Prochamber from what I can see is closer to an h-pipe but instead of it having the crossover pipe making the "H" it has more of a mini muffler or a "chamber" (hense it's name).
Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

Even with LTs and MIl eliminators of you go off road, your CEL can still come on, mine used to til I got it turned off
I don't plan on going off road. I don't mind having cats, I just don't want to deal with having a catted midpipe AND STILL throw a code. I just want to make sure that whatever I get is legal and sounds nice and deep. So, any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Steve_O

Well I live in Texas and I'm running BBK Off-road X-Pipe and 2½ American Thunder Flowmasters 2 chamber... It is quite loud so far I've been ok with passing inspection. But they haven't checked emissions....
Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

deep rumble as opposed to the high, raspy sound. I'm thinking catted Prochambers and an SLP LM II catback.

if you want a deep rumble,go with an o/r H pipe with a set of chambered mufflers. Striaght through mufflers produce that rapsy sound.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I have no idea what you just said. Could you break that down a bit?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
ChosenMoto

a friend of mine runs straight pipes from the headers and still passes inspection, i live in pittsburgh, pa if that helps.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

hi flow cats sound cool, but no cats give it that raw agressive muscle sound no matter what catback setup your running.

i did not throw a code with my slp hi flow cats when i had them on the xpipe.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Well, the question is if I take the chance of running with no cats, how do I know I'll pass inspection? I would just keep my stock setup and replace it for the inspection, but I have LTs now. So that idea's out. And on top of that, I might only have that setup for a little bit, as I'm considering doing a 5.0 swap with some TT's on there. That'll change my header and midpipe setup. I just want an exhaust right now to fix my leak AND sound like a muscle car. I don't think I'll mind having cats, just looking for some ideas. Someone out there has to have a legal exhaust that sounds good![8D]
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Well, the question is if I take the chance of running with no cats, how do I know I'll pass inspection? I would just keep my stock setup and replace it for the inspection, but I have LTs now. So that idea's out. And on top of that, I might only have that setup for a little bit, as I'm considering doing a 5.0 swap with some TT's on there. That'll change my header and midpipe setup. I just want an exhaust right now to fix my leak AND sound like a muscle car. I don't think I'll mind having cats, just looking for some ideas. Someone out there has to have a legal exhaust that sounds good![8D]
I suggest you become good friends with someone who does emmisions =D

I was under the impression the prochamber gave that deep tone too, which is why im goin that route...well that and unlock more hp

Quick Reply: Exhaust: what's legal and what's not?