4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Adding Oil To Rear Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Steve_O

Default Adding Oil To Rear Differential?

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but I can't find where to add the rear differential oil on my 1996 GT Mustang.. I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of insight as to where I might look.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Adding Oil To Rear Differential?

It is a pain in the ***. You have to jack the car up and put it on jack stands. The fill hole is on the front of the housing, on the driver side of the car (at least on mine). You have to take the bolt out that is there, then fill it up. The diff only takes about 2.5 quarts.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
sickness
1st Gear Member

save your self a little hassle put a piece of hose on the gear lube bottle...as a "applicator tip"lol
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

i dont know if the 96 is the same as my 02 but theres a groove where you can put the socket wrench (like on the tension pully), on the driver side on the front end of the diff. . There maybe a brace in the way to get it in there all you have to isremove that bolt first. And like sickness said, put a hose on the bottle, or like i did and buy a syringe an extended hose. Just becarful, it can get REAL messy really fast [8D]
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
BilliG
1st Gear Member

yeah i had to add some to mine while i was changing the exhaust a few weeks ago. the fill plug is on the front of the housing, drivers side. and as iraziel said pay attention while your filling it. i think i'm still cleaning oil out of my arm pit...[8D]
Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

how do you know if its filled up? can you "overfill it"?i would just like to check me for safe measures because i somtimes see some oil on the bottom of my punkin. a verrryy little but its there, and i have no puddle or anything in my garage. i might just lay a bead of rtv around it. would that fix this problem if its coming out of the punkin??
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: wwmost

how do you know if its filled up? can you "overfill it"?i would just like to check me for safe measures because i somtimes see some oil on the bottom of my punkin. a verrryy little but its there, and i have no puddle or anything in my garage. i might just lay a bead of rtv around it. would that fix this problem if its coming out of the punkin??

I was wondering this also...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i filled it untill i could put my pinky in and touch the oil. and yea it can get really messy, my driveway smelled like gear oil for weeks [:'(]
Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

I have a 98Gt... What kind do I need to use??
Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
BilliG
1st Gear Member

i've always used the pinky rule for checking to see if the diff is full. i have a 96' and i just went to autozone and got like the 5 gallon "value pack" of gear oil i dont remember the weight.

Quick Reply: Adding Oil To Rear Differential?