4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help with intake issue please..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: help with intake issue please..

inspect it for what? i really dont want to have to re install that thing....
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Injectors, gaskets, everything
Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

would losing the little red piece inside of an injector cause this problem maybe?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

bump - i give up...im going to take the car to ford and let them tell me whats wrong... my timing chain tensioner is bad, i can hear it, but i dont think that would make the car run like it does...im looking into getting that fixed as well, but im stumped on the misfire...i talked to my dad today who helped with the intake swap and his words were "that nasty noise it made sounded like a new shortblock is coming" ....not lookin forward to an engine swap, although it would be nice since ive got 152k on the clock...

how much would an 03 gt motor run me from a junkyard? im tired of my ****ty heads and if i replace the engine i want 03 heads....or would it be a lot cheaper to get another 99? money is tight
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

sorry to triple post, just wanted to let everyone know that i got the issue resolved...my valve covers are leaking oil and it dumped oil into my plug holes and ruined a few coil packs....car is parked in the garage for now, and i plan to do the timing chain tensioners and guides soon so i will get new gaskets for the valve covers after i do the timing chain since i will have them pulled off anyways...thanks for all the suggestions and help guys!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: WhiteFoxGT

What codes is it throwing? It still sounds like a vac leak to me. When you installed the injectors, did you lube the o-rings really well. Its possible you could have cut or nicked one..that will leak fuel/air and make it run rough. Let the motor cool and start pulling spark plugs and look at them. You may have fouled one. And dont worry about gettin a torque wrench. Just hand tighten them, then use a wratchet and snug them. Its not rocket science..
LOL I guess you don't know much about the pre 04 2v heads.

Yea I apparently have no clue... Take it to Ford, and I bet the tech will laugh when he see's on the RO to "torque spark plugs"... Besides, its awesome watching spark plugs shoot out of heads, wouldnt you say so?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Dbriganti96

well personally i think u should have taken the car to a ford dealer or a specalist... check your plugs make sure there not covered in coolant becuase u could of had a fouled plug, check the bolts make sure it sealed right the manifold might not have sealed correctly is there a gap in beetween the intake and were it sits are u leaking anything is there check engine light on this is all **** u gotta look at get back to me and let me know
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
KillaGT
1st Gear Member

I did the same thing and found 2 code something about 171 and 174, somthing like that. any one have any ideal ?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

only thing i can think of is i lost one of the little red pieces that sits inside one of my fuel injectors....could that be the problem? what do those things do...
woah, you lost what now? Anything that 'came out of hte injector' is NOT a good thing.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: KillaGT

I did the same thing and found 2 code something about 171 and 174, somthing like that. any one have any ideal ?
lean bank 1 lean bank 2....you have a vacuum leak

Quick Reply: help with intake issue please..