4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Jcelli04
2nd Gear Member

Default What Gears?

I plan on buying a vortech mongoose supercharger kit from MPH and was curious on what gears i should get?

Ford 373s
Motive 390s
Pro 5.0 390s
Ford 410s

iv heard the 410s on a supercharged car are rough and thats the only reason im considering anything but 410s
Old 03-06-2005, 06:56 PM
xtreme02gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What Gears?

Only buy FORD gears... and I would say go with 410's
Old 03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jcelli04

I plan on buying a vortech mongoose supercharger kit from MPH and was curious on what gears i should get?

Ford 373s
Motive 390s
Pro 5.0 390s
Ford 410s

iv heard the 410s on a supercharged car are rough and thats the only reason im considering anything but 410s
3:73's are just right for supercharged applications. If you go 4:10's you will spin off too much and you'll top out too quick AND, you'll drink more gas. None of that is a good thing. Better get yourself a good set of lower control arms and drag radials, among other things, if you want to realize your HP at the ground.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:16 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

meh.. i dunno about the whole drinking more gas on 4.10s. i thought i was drinking more gas switching from 3.27s to 3.73s. turns out i was just having too much fun and kept mashing the throttle cause it was fun. now i drive normal and get the same gas mileage i used to.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Jcelli04
2nd Gear Member

im not worried about gas im worried about running out of gear with a supercharger
Old 03-07-2005, 11:02 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

md runs 4.10s with a blower, so i don't see why you couldn't.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Yeap. He pulled a 11.4 with 4.10's and a blower. I wouldnt go with anything less than 4.10's.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Don't know for sure because I don't have a blower. After reading many, many forums on this topic, I would say the majority of opinions tends to go with a little bit lower gear ratio on blown engines. Many have said 3.55's are ideal. I think they make your hole shot that much quicker off the line. Very high ratio (low gears) and a blown engine can really cause all kinds of traction and tranny gearing problems. If you want alot of other opinions, go to www.corral.net and check their forums. Run a search on supercharging and gears or gears with supercharger. Lots of good input there with a hugh membership base.

Oh, one other thing. I have also read many times about the "problems" adding a blower can cause with 3.73 or 4.10+ gears without beefing up other parts of the drivetrain. One major problem is just plain breaking your tranny. I have heard dozens of times that in order to run such low gearing with a blower you MUST have some kind of competition tranny, clutch, etc., etc. Otherwise the stress is just too much on the drivetrain system. Check it out in the forums themselves. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:12 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Don't know for sure because I don't have a blower. After reading many, many forums on this topic, I would say the majority of opinions tends to go with a little bit lower gear ratio on blown engines. Many have said 3.55's are ideal. I think they make your hole shot that much quicker off the line. Very high ratio (low gears) and a blown engine can really cause all kinds of traction and tranny gearing problems. If you want alot of other opinions, go to www.corral.net and check their forums. Run a search on supercharging and gears or gears with supercharger. Lots of good input there with a hugh membership base.

Oh, one other thing. I have also read many times about the "problems" adding a blower can cause with 3.73 or 4.10+ gears without beefing up other parts of the drivetrain. One major problem is just plain breaking your tranny. I have heard dozens of times that in order to run such low gearing with a blower you MUST have some kind of competition tranny, clutch, etc., etc. Otherwise the stress is just too much on the drivetrain system. Check it out in the forums themselves. Good luck!
funny. md runs the 4.10s and he power shifts and everything and has yet to blow his tranny or clutch. just get the 4.10s. you'll regret going 3.73s in the long run. i would say go 3.90s really, but ford doesn't make those.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:21 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

you sir have been thoroughly misinformed. for starters, lower (num) gears will not make holeshots faster, it is quite the opposite. secondly, numberically higher rear gears would make it easier on the tranny because the car would get moving easier... the only thing that would realize an increased load would be the axles.

In the case of wanting lower gears for blown cars...well I can only see the importance of that for cars blown with a roots / twin screw type blower as they make alot of low rpm torque... those with centrifugal blowers would want a higher gear that would help them get into their higher rpm powerband.

So to sum this up, kick whoever told you you need a competition tranny / clutch in the face for misinforming you. Roots / screw blowers would be better off with 3.55's/3.73's and centrifugal / turbo cars would be better off with 3.73's/4.10's.

Oh, for what its worth... someone on this board has nearly 500 flywheel horsepower in their GT and runs the stock tranny and clutch

Quick Reply: What Gears?