4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

???'s about forged internals

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

Default ???'s about forged internals

Ok, got a few questions about forged internals, please dont reply unless u have them in your car! im not changing the bore or stroke. I have a 98 GT, 2v, at this moment it is torn down to the short block. Im doing the PI swap, with all brand new components. Im interested in beefing up the lower assembly, we all know power is addictive so in the future plans theres some nitrous that may be installed, not to mention the daily flogging thatWILL take place! So here are my questions about installing forged internals. This will be a daily driver, stock pi cams, 373 rear gear,T-45, exhaust, u/p, b&m shifter.And maybe up to a 200 shot of motivation. I know the stock lower end cant handle that. So what should be done to thelower end as far as forged internals? does any machine work have to be done?Will i need a different oil pan? Do the pistons and rods have to be balanced to the stock crank if i dont replace that? PLEASE ONLY GIVE ADVICE IF YOU HAVE DONE THIS UPGRADE!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: ???'s about forged internals

You need to just throw that whole block away and start new. Like someone said most people think that you can just send your parts in and theyll dip it in forging sollution and then you're good. But its the process in which they make the parts. If you want them forged you have to buy a new forged short block with crank, rods, and pistons.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If your serious you should buy a aftermarket shortblock from a company like MMR or VT engines. They come assembled and balanced, ready to install on the car.

The rods are the weakest link, followed by the pistons and then the crank. If your going to do a piston/rod setup aftermarket IMO there is NO reason not to spend the extra 600ish and get a forged crank as well.

There is a host of other new crap other than the rotatting assembly you will need (bearings, piston rings etc etc) and IMO its not worth the couple hundred you save doing it yourself and maybe screwing it up... pre assembled shortblock (with a new block too) FTW!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

+1.. buy a short block already built.. The tollerances on a forged engine are different from usual as well. If someone isn't experience when putting the bottom end together you may run into issues down the road.

I'd fork out the dollars and buy a complete short block..

I have a friend who has had good experience with DSS
Old 11-20-2007, 10:03 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

It's easier to just buy a shortblock but I built my motor myself just because I enjoy it. Your block can handle what ever you throw at it so your good there. The factory crank can handle 650 rwhp safely. THR has built a couple of twin turbo gt's that made over 700 rwhp and said they haven't broken yet. I asked them if they had ever seen or heard of a stock gt crank breaking and they said no. You don't have to have any special machine work done on the block to go forged if your not stroking it.You have to get the entire rotating assembly balanced if you want it to run smooth and last a long time. They will need the crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, flywheel and clutch pressure plate if you have a manual. You do not have to change the oil pan either. Good luck with the build.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

Ok, Im not new to building my own engines, I have built 2 small block chevys,And I work at a dealership but not ford, I actually work at a Honda dealer. Dont ask! Im on a budget and cant afford to just buy a entire short block, besides y throw away a good block and crank. So with the opinons that you all have given me especially CONTENTSUNDERPRESSUR, I think this is my plan, new or used forged pistons and rods, and gonna keep my block and crank, unless my budget increases to allow for the crank. BTW thats one sick setup u have contentunderpressur, what do u have it in?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

WHAT THE HELL ARE U TALKING ABOUT DUDE!!!! FORGING SOLUTION,, THROW MY BLOCK AWAY WHAT IS THIS GUY SMOKING ben790450
Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

It's easier to just buy a shortblock but I built my motor myself just because I enjoy it. Your block can handle what ever you throw at it so your good there. The factory crank can handle 650 rwhp safely. THR has built a couple of twin turbo gt's that made over 700 rwhp and said they haven't broken yet. I asked them if they had ever seen or heard of a stock gt crank breaking and they said no. You don't have to have any special machine work done on the block to go forged if your not stroking it.You have to get the entire rotating assembly balanced if you want it to run smooth and last a long time. They will need the crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, flywheel and clutch pressure plate if you have a manual. You do not have to change the oil pan either. Good luck with the build.
+1.. Ive never seen a broken stock crank... even at close to 1000 rwhp
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

SO the stock crank is ok for what i want to do?/
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Yes, the stock crank is good for what your doing. I have Manley rods and Diamond pistons. I bought them as a piston/rod package from www.vtengines.com.

Quick Reply: ???'s about forged internals