4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone with a wideband O2 on a NA vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:06 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone with a wideband O2 on a NA vehicle?

the truth is most people go pay other people to dyno tune their cars. most people dont understand fuel or timing maps, etc. and with n/a most people, i said most before i get jumped on, are happy with a mail order tune.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:19 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

If you can get the wiring diagram for the knock sensor, then I could probably cook something up that would work. I would guess a simple logic switch and a relay from Radio Shack would do the trick, but I would need to know the output from the sensor.
Here is the information that I would need:
1. Output voltage during both knock and no knock conditions (I would guess 5V / 0V)
2. Sensor power requirements (Probably 12V)
3. Type of light you will be using (LED, would be easier to work with)
PM me if you want help. I do not know if the drilled holes are really for knock sensors, but if they are then this will be a simple project.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:15 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

OK. I need 2 hearing aids so I cannot hear knock. I leaned my AFR with the SCT 4% at WOT, what is my AFR or should I not be concerned? I backed off the timing 6* above 4000rpm's but I can read that on the tuner.

My last car was a 500+whp AWD Talon running 30psi on a 65lb./min. Holset turbo. I had a device that read knock and of course a wideband.
I have spent around $300. on mail order tunes. I called DezRacing and they want $350.-$400. for a dyno tune. 4-5 hours each way plus an overnight stay.
I am not argueing but presenting the facts. As I said I also want to monitor knock and know it can be done as the 2V heads are drilled and tapped for the sensors. What I don't know yet is how to translate the signal to an electrical signal so a light(s) will blink with knock in the cabin.
Besides that I live in central,NY and I am already bored and the car just went into storage a week ago though my garage can be heated. A lift would be nice too!
Seriously how do you NA guys who are serious tune your cars? I have not posted asking if there is a shop nearby that is familiar with Fords and the SCT software so maybe this is moot but it is something to look into.

Headers are a bigger waste but for some reason that fact is doubted and they are heavily touted. Even Dez said to skip headers with the mods I have. Well I will stay on topic.
I think I will look into a ram air cold air system and see if that adds some power. THX!
Simply put, there MUST be a shop in NY thats fairly close that can tune your car properly. Mustangs are alot different than imports, there are simply more shops working on them and better aftermarket support. There isn't much motivation to learn how to tune the car yourself when you can just buy a handheld, and get a custom tune from a local (or even internet) shop and then tweak it a bit for your needs. Its still fairly cheap, and after you get a custom tune your going to need to do a major bit of modication to acutally need a new base tune (like adding a blower, changing injectors, etc)

There is little reason to change your tune every time you put a small part in on a n/a car. If your really that worried about it, save for your upgrades and do large amounts of them at once (full exhaust isntead of a catback, then a midpipe, then LTs etc etc). Regardless, adding a catback on a n/a car isn't going to throw the tune off that bad, hell I was running a stock tune on a full boltons car and it was fairly close (256 WHP, typical is 260-265).

LTs are NOT a waste of money. On a properly tuned car they can pick up 10-15 WHP, which is alot for a bolton on this car, far more than any other bolton will add. As you add more mods down the road they will make more and more power.