4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

POWER DRAINAGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: POWER DRAINAGE

You have to set the miltimeter up to read amps not volts.Place the meter inline with one battery lead, then pull the fuses one at a time.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99_GT

You have to set the miltimeter up to read amps not volts.Place the meter inline with one battery lead, then pull the fuses one at a time.
+1
Old 12-08-2007, 06:34 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Get a multi meter. Loosen up the neg battery post. Put one side of the meter on the post and the other side on the battery end then pull the end off the battery making sure you keep the meter hooked up. If you have a drain it will show you on the meter just how much of a drain in volts. Then you just pull fuses until the drain goes away and you have the problem pin pointed then. Most of the time it's a broken coil in the alternator that does this though. The alternator will still charge while it's running but drain the battery while the car is off. I know from experience. If there is no drain then you might want to check the battery.
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenv

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Get a multi meter. Loosen up the neg battery post. Put one side of the meter on the post and the other side on the battery end then pull the end off the battery making sure you keep the meter hooked up. If you have a drain it will show you on the meter just how much of a drain in volts. Then you just pull fuses until the drain goes away and you have the problem pin pointed then. Most of the time it's a broken coil in the alternator that does this though. The alternator will still charge while it's running but drain the battery while the car is off. I know from experience. If there is no drain then you might want to check the battery.
[sm=exactly.gif]
no not exactly. you measure parasitic drain in amps. turn the meter to amps, put one lead on the post and one on the cable, then disconnect, if you have a draw of over .050 amps you may wanna wait 10 minutes for any keep alive to go away, if the drain stays then start pulling fuses and when you get to a certain one the drain should drop. youll then have to look up everything on that fuses circuit and test all the circuits powered by that fuse.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You guys need to get a decent meter with a clamp style amp reading. Anyone looking for a good meter should look into the fluke TS-600 (I think its TS). Its about 100 bucks, and only has 3 settings, but there is no need for all that other crap (I am a maint tech and its what I use at work every day).

They are correct, look for the amp draw, not the voltage. Turn off the car, put the meter inline (or get a good meter like I said) and then start pulling fuses. Eventually, as you pull them and put em back one at a time, the amp draw will go away.

This will tell you where the amp draw is. When you find the fuse that makes it go away, check to see what that fuse runs. This will tell you where the draw is, now all you have to do is check each thing it runs until you track it down.