4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Popping the fan fuse!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Popping the fan fuse!

[:@][:@][:@]OK, so everything is fine and dandy with my car. Slowly tweaking the things that the previous owner either didn't know how to do right, or needed to be fixed to my liking.. BUT.. the 30A fuse on the fan curcuit blows all the time no matter what. Now, I wired it to a switch rated for 20A, cooked the switch. Wired it to a 30A switch, burnt the switch up again. CUT the orange wire going to the ran so ONLY the power, ground, and switch were doing anything... Burn the switch out. This is after I replaced the fan and before as well... What could possibly be putting that much resistance in that circuit? I tried the switch idea for temp fix till i tear into this winter... but I want it to work the RIGHT way, and can;t figure it out.

Now, right now... I have the power wire going DIRECTLY from fan to switch, and from switch to 12v. and the ground I assume goes to ground. The orange wire is cut completely.... SO, I know for a fact that the fan is completely on it's own. What is the normal resistance? because it is burning 20 and 30 amp fuses and switches no matter if i leave it hooked up stock or run on a switch alone. I'm getting SOOO angry wth this one little issue HELP!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM
GolfmanSpeck
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Popping the fan fuse!

Well since you are diving into an electrical issue, i will assume that you have proficient ablity to do so. If you have an multimeter check what amperage the fan is actually using while it is running. Do this by unhooking the fan from the chassis wiring and running directly to the battery. I can't possibly imagine that the fan needs more than 15A. Also, take note of the amperage at the instant you connect the fan. It could be a large value -- this is called intial current or required start-up current, these are what tend to blow fuses. If the intial is really high your fan needs replacing.Also, if it runs more than 15A I would replace it.

If it otherwise checks out I would suspect a faulty wire somewhere, so just run new wires anditshould be fine. Don't waste your time trying to find the faulty. You have a better chance trying tofind amormon in a starbucks!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

OK, your fan motor has faulty brushes in the motor. Replace the motor.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
GolfmanSpeck
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98SN95

OK, your fan motor has faulty brushes in the motor. Replace the FAN motor.
That would account for a high start up current. Although he did say this was a replacement fan, so Iwouldn't jump tothe fan.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

IF he isolated the motor like he said, its the motor
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM
marcm94
1st Gear Member

Connect Ohm meter to motor directly no other wires. Test each lead or wire. A good motor should read infinty or very close to it. Any resistance is a bad winding. Do the same with the wire from switch to motor. Check wire resistance to ground, should have no continuity.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

Ok, connecting the DVOM to the fan motor itself to check resistance is going to prove nothing. I'm 99% posative on that. The idea that this fan that I bought brand new is bad as well as the old one it replaced.
Like I said guys, it had this problem with the old and the new fan. I realy appreciate all the advice and help guys.
And yes, Golfman, I do have the know-how to dive into electrical. This is far from my first time doing so lol. But what realy gets me is that I completely isolated everything.. wired the power wire directly to a switch with NO relays, hidden wires, fuses, in between and it blew the switch that was rated for 30amps. And when i wire it to the stock wires, it will blow fuses that I have tested with up to a 40amp fuse. I just don't get it...
Next time I go home for time off from work, I am going to re-wire the ground wire as well... nothing else could possibly be changed. I'm completely baffled. I have fixed and rewired things that the previous owner had messed up big time, but this is the ONLY problem left that is giving me a huge problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

this is almost too easy. you should have the fan wired to a relay not just a switch. a relay allows a small amount of current to control a large current system. when you put a large amount of current through a switch it allows the contacts in the switch to arc burning up the switch.

if you do this and your still burning fuses you most likely have a bad wire.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

this is almost too easy. you should have the fan wired to a relay not just a switch. a relay allows a small amount of current to control a large current system. when you put a large amount of current through a switch it allows the contacts in the switch to arc burning up the switch.

if you do this and your still burning fuses you most likely have a bad wire.
ok, even when wired to the relay, it pops the fuse.... not *** easy as you would think i guess.

also, the switch was used to see if completely bypassing the stock electrical system worked(knowing that the switch would burn up if it exceeded 30amps), and it did... confusing me more... ill check the relay and rewire everything when i get home, but it is realy hard getting confident that anything will work at this point
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

if you jump the fuse with a pair of needle nose does the fan run? if not then the short must be between the motor and the voltage source. use the dvom to check continuity between that circuit if the motor wont run. other than that all i can think of is a bad motor because the circuit would still work if it was grounding anywhere afterwords and it wouldnt be blowing fuses.

Quick Reply: Popping the fan fuse!