4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Under Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:13 AM
brando5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Under Pulley?

Underdrive pulleys are definately worth it. I have a 1 piece March pulley. This one replaces just the crank pulley. Theoretically, and in actuallity they free up the engine by spinnning the belt slower. Think of it as the big pulley, little pulley scenarios from high school math. Its a lot easier for a little pulley to turn another pulley than for a big pulley to turn the other pulley. The smaller crankshaft pulley will remove some of the stress on the engine. In turn, the drive belt will turn slower. This is where you might have had your problem, Mike. I had the same problem when I made a custom pulley for my old dakota. The pulley was so small that the alternator didnt spin fast enough to create enough voltage at idle. This puts a heck of a lot of strain on alternator. If you run into this problem, you can buy a smaller alternator pulley. There is a ratio equation that you can use to figure out what size pulley you'd need for alternator, but I'd be easier if it just works the way it is, which it should. Hope this helps a little
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 AM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Underdrives are worth it. You will not be dissapointed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10698/1154871AB61142FB988B04BCEEA695A4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

I was thinking of getting them too. Will I have to get a different belt if I do that. My mind tells me yes, smaller pulleys = smaller belt. And what size belt would I need if I do need one?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 AM
brando5.0
1st Gear Member

I think I used about a 1 1/2" shorter belt, but it depends on the setup. If you buy a kit, it should tell you what size to buy. Otherwise, wrap a string around the pulleys. To figure out the belt size, do the following. Measure length of string, in inches(Make sure that tensioner is unsprung). Lets use 70", for example. Then, count number or ribs on old belt. Mine is 6 ribs. A common size would be a 700K6. This means a 70.0" belt, with 6 ribs. Bumper to bumper uses this. Another option would be a k060700. same basic principle, 6 ribs, with 70.0 inches. Otherwise, usually they will have a slide ruler made for figuring the length to size.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Well if its for the 4.6 then you will be using the stock belt. I used mine and all works great.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

what approximate hp improvement would there be on a pretty stock v6?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:33 PM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

I am not sure if slowing your water pump and alternater down is a good Idea for everyday drivers. Is it worth 8hp? I am not sold yet...?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 AM
OuTlAwZ

ORIGINAL: snlpa

I am not sure if slowing your water pump and alternater down is a good Idea for everyday drivers. Is it worth 8hp? I am not sold yet...?
What will slowing these devices down do?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Slowing your alternator down will cause more stress on it. Just think at night with headlights on defrost running on high and windshield wipers running while sitting idling at the light with your turn signal on.........and now you have your alternator turning slower than stock. I may be missing something but this couldn't be good. Also slowing your water pump down seems to explain itself.

Like I said I am all for easy bolt on power.....but I am just not sold on this yet. I would like to hear from peeps that are using new pullies
and how long they have had them and problems if any.

Anyone?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I have run underdrives on my 04GT since it was new with no problems at all.The only thing you want to remember is to ONLY use non-piggyback pulleys.These have the harmonic balancer built into the pulley.The piggyback pulleys require you to bolt the old stock pulley to the new underdrive crank pulley so you will have a harmonic balancer.Without a harmonic balancer the crank is subjected to torsional vibrations that can cause the crank to break.Steeda and March sell non piggyback pulleys.Without looking,I think they cost around $150.The cheap ones are piggybacks.

Quick Reply: Under Pulley?