4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TPS problem idles to high(help quick please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Eskine
1st Gear Member

Default TPS problem idles to high(help quick please)

car idles at 2g+ and need help quick anyone?
i put a new tps on today and idles way to high and it is eaten alot of gas.

is there a way to adjust it?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TPS problem idles to high(help quick please)

you put on a new throttle body??? If so, you have to adjust the sensor, at least I did, mine was idling WAy too high, then dropping and dying.....
Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Eskine
1st Gear Member

how did u fix it
Old 03-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

You dont hav to replace the throttle body. lol. Im guessing you only replaced theTPS. there are specs for them, i know the generally a TPS is right around .97 v - .99 v.... So try and get it in their. .98 would be great. You have to turn on the key to the ON position and check voltage at the TPS. Then adjust it. Also you could be idling high if youre IAC hose has a hole in it. Such as small cracks like an old car would have.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Hey! Hate to butt in, but I'm having a similiar problem! I put on a new 75mm TB, plenum, 85mm MAF and C&L pipe. I turn my car on, it idles way high for a few seconds, then sputters and dies.

I have not adjusted the TPS, and I'm also wondering if maybe my EGR valve might be the cause? The stock screws would not fit flush with the new plenum so I just tightened them as best I could. I'm also running on a Diablo handheld tune, should I reset it to stock and then re-do it? Is there maybe a problem with my MAF? It fits flush, but I noticed there are three holes in a T-pattern on the bottom...have no idea what goes there. This system is replacing a K&N air intake. Thinking about tossing the new MAF and intake and re-installing the K&N to see if that is the problem. Ford was no help, they would barely talk to me because I DARED to put non-Ford parts in my car.

Need help! My baby is dead! Oh, yeah, it's also REALLY cold outside, Ford did say that might be part of the problem. Guys, I'm clueless and this is killing me...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Why would they tell you, that you can only drive youre car when its warm... they are morons. lol

First off, if there is a gap between youre EGR, then yeah could be the problem... Also if youre car starts, then dies.... sounds like a air leak somewhere, also the MAF will do this. If you stay on the gas will it stay running. Or does the throttle pedal not do anytihng for it?

And if you plan on tossing youre MAF and intake.... My email addy is on my profile. I'll take them. lol.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

If I hit the gas, yeah, it keeps it from dyin'.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Hmm.. sounds like a MAF problem.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

See, that's just it, there were directions for the MAF but nothing was ever said about the three screw holes on the bottom. If nothing goes in those holes, and they are just open, won't that mess things up?

Also, I ran a diagnostics with my Diablo. P1000, don't know what that is, something about check not done or something. The other one was that the TPS needs to be setup. How do you do that? How do you set the TPS between .97 and .99?

When I have a spare moment I'm thinking about running downstairs and uninstalling the MAF. I need to find some way to maybe tighten down the EGR, too, as it does look a little loose...
Old 03-12-2005, 11:40 AM
AF04GT

When my buddy and I put on my plenum and tb we put the hoses that connect to the cold-air on backwards and it idled at 2k. Check your hoses to make sure. Just a thought?

Quick Reply: TPS problem idles to high(help quick please)