4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TPS problem idles to high(help quick please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TPS problem idles to high(help quick please)

I'm so stressed over this it is making me sick. I took a chance by installing my new TB, plenum and MAF by myself, hoping to learn something about my baby. Well, all I've learned is that it is really easy to screw up your car.

Got a new TPS, installed it, tried to set the voltage...yeah, whatever. Got a volt meter, did the whole "poke" thing but can't get it to read jack. I did a diagnostics with my Diablo...I keep getting trouble code P1022, which is the TPS, and P1000, whatever the heck that is. I'm at my wits end. The car will run, as long as I keep my foot on the gas, but it's not safe to drive anywhere. I don't want to have to get a damn tow truck, either, but what is left to do? One guy mentioned my IAC...well, hell, I never touched it. Why should that be a problem? Maybe I have a leak on my EGR valve?

I need an on call mechanic or something, man, this is driving me absolutely crazy. One thing is for sure, I am NEVER doing mods by myself again.

If anyone can help, give advice, etc, I would REALLY appreciate it...

Old 03-16-2005, 08:19 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dalthius

If I hit the gas, yeah, it keeps it from dyin'.
The only P1000 code I could find is for a 2000 Mustang GT and it says the emissions test did not complete. Probably because you did not run it long enough.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Loosen the screws on the TPS,start the engine,now turn the TPS as much as you can in the direction that slows down the idle.There isn't much play for adjustment but there is a little bit.Mine did the same thing after installing a TB and plenum.If this doesn't help,look for leaks.ANY air leak will cause high idle problems.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Ok, update.

I took off all my pipes, checked them for wear, then put them back on...walla! Must have been a loose pipe. I don't know how many times I tightened, but whatever.

Anyway, now here is my problem. The car runs, but it idles very rough. The RPM gauge remains below the 1000 rpm range in idle, but it bounces around quite a bit. When driving, it tends to go pretty high. I imagine this has something to do with the TPS, which I can't seem to calibrate right (despite the advice I've been given), but I no longer get the TPS code when I do a diagnostics with my Diablo Predator. I'm wondering if maybe my MAF might be affecting it? I've heard that it is a good idea to get some kinda special calibration mechanism for your MAF, but I want to make sure before I go out and buy more crap.

My car sounds like *** and it sounds like it wants to die when it idles, but it hasn't actually died on me yet.

Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

So, if anybody cares that ever really followed this thread (that I totally hijacked...sorry Eskine)....

...I broke down and took the car into the Ford dealer (bad idea, but kinda good I guess). I figured it was one of two things, like I said earlier....TPS (which I already replaced!), or a vacc leak. I was worried that maybe I did not tighten the EGR valve correctly.

Well, it was the TPS. I broke it. TWICE. When I installed it I managed to snap the spring. Oops...

Anyway, the guy took an hour to diagnose it and install it, tune it, etc, then another 20 minutes fixing my EGR valve (it wasn't leaking, he just fixed the screws). I don't think my car has EVER run this good! Man, that new TB and plenum, plus the new MAF and air tube...wow. I mean, I can't honestly say that my car gained a tremendous amount of HP, maybe it did, but damn....excellent throttle response. Throws me back when I take off. Combined with my 4.11s, I rev that sucker up to 2500 rpms at a stop light and BAM!

Good, good feeling. I've wasted 3/4 a tank of gas in the last two days just cruising. Yes, cruising...in North Dakota. Hey, c'mon, the snow finally melted, I can take her out! Ok, so I slid a few times from the melted snow...but damn it was good to get my baby out!

Next step....SLP X-PIPE! I think....
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear you got it lined out!!![sm=happy046.gif]