4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

patriot head problems?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Wow this is an old thread. anyways, Dropping valves is very uncommon , but they have had issues with valve guide seals.

But anyways that not what John96slow was asking, he was the one that bumped the thread.

I have heard of one other person mention the spark plug issue but i don't remember who
Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire

I have heard of one other person mention the spark plug issue but i don't remember who
raises hand
Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 AM
BOSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I new it was old when i saw OXFORDGT.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:16 PM
trublmaker
1st Gear Member

I think the springs that come with them are fairly weak. If you plan on running alot of boost or higher rpm's you should change the springs
Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trublmaker
I think the springs that come with them are fairly weak. If you plan on running alot of boost or higher rpm's you should change the springs
i believe thats the reason my tuner told me the valve fell into the cylinder was that the valvespring broke.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I had a set of stage 2 patriots. No problems here.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Almost a year and so far so good with my stage 2's. I chucked out one plug but I was leaning out horribly.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

it seems to be a hit and miss. I personally wouldn't want a hit and miss on such an expensive part. Not to mention the time involved to install them.

On the other hand if you are one of the people that have had 0 issues, of course you are going to be happy. You spent less money that you could have and all is well. But when things go wrong and you have to to back and forth swapping out heads was it really worth the money you saved.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
it seems to be a hit and miss. I personally wouldn't want a hit and miss on such an expensive part. Not to mention the time involved to install them.

On the other hand if you are one of the people that have had 0 issues, of course you are going to be happy. You spent less money that you could have and all is well. But when things go wrong and you have to to back and forth swapping out heads was it really worth the money you saved.
Very true Steve, but when you're poor and you want to play sometimes you have to gamble.

I live on a very humble income and like I said before and it has taken about 9 years to get this far. I have collected disability for about 4 years of that( a whole whooping $1000 a month).

I figure I have less than half the amount compared to others making the same power. I always waited for a bargain, buy used sometimes, Use what other feel is inferior products (the only engine part the qualifies is the patriot heads though.) Fab things I can, Never use credit. Sell old parts, and do 90% of the work myself. The one thing I don't skimp on is the tune and support mods. I consistently pay 50% or less for most my mods. I have 20-30 examples that I'm to lazy to go into.

This is my latest example, so far I have less than 1000 in my auto set up I'm converting too soon. I will run a stock 4R70W for a while and hope it holds up. I have seen some cobra guys making 600 get by for a couple years. If it breaks I'll have to deal with it then. Please don't tell myslow he'll give me a hard time lol.

So far I'll have this much invested
$265.00 2003 4r70w with w/42k (crossmember,harness.position switch, dipstick. shifter cable, inspection plate. plus a stock converter that I don't need)
$300.00 used Ultimate Converter Concepts 4000 stall converter off a 5.0 535 hp gt (which ran 10.6 a 122 because of the rev limiter being set to low 6k stock shortblock). $200 more if I want it re stalled
$45.00 summit trans cooler
$40.00 Jmod
$99.00 stock shifter and bracket
$50.00 stock auto yoke and new universals
$55.00 ford racing parts 8 bolt flex plate
$50.00 auto ecu.
$45.00 new filter and fluid.

If I had the money I would build the strongest fast and quickest 2V anyone has ever seen while sparing no expense. I know some people wonder why 2v. For me it's just more enjoyable to push the 2V's envelope, and affordable! The new trick flow heads with a race port should open new windows of opportunity.

With the patriots alone since it worked out for me(I acknowledge for others it hasn't but there is less occurrences lately). I have saved at least 1200 dollars. That alone will pay for my transmission. Plus I already have the 5 speed sold for 400 when it comes out.

But your point in more than valid.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jivepepper
Very true Steve, but when you're poor and you want to play sometimes you have to gamble.

I live on a very humble income and like I said before and it has taken about 9 years to get this far. I have collected disability for about 4 years of that( a whole whooping $1000 a month).

I figure I have less than half the amount compared to others making the same power. I always waited for a bargain, buy used sometimes, Use what other feel is inferior products (the only engine part the qualifies is the patriot heads though.) Fab things I can, Never use credit. Sell old parts, and do 90% of the work myself. The one thing I don't skimp on is the tune and support mods. I consistently pay 50% or less for most my mods. I have 20-30 examples that I'm to lazy to go into.

This is my latest example, so far I have less than 1000 in my auto set up I'm converting too soon. I will run a stock 4R70W for a while and hope it holds up. I have seen some cobra guys making 600 get by for a couple years. If it breaks I'll have to deal with it then. Please don't tell myslow he'll give me a hard time lol.

So far I'll have this much invested
$265.00 2003 4r70w with w/42k (crossmember,harness.position switch, dipstick. shifter cable, inspection plate. plus a stock converter that I don't need)
$300.00 used Ultimate Converter Concepts 4000 stall converter off a 5.0 535 hp gt (which ran 10.6 a 122 because of the rev limiter being set to low 6k stock shortblock). $200 more if I want it re stalled
$45.00 summit trans cooler
$40.00 Jmod
$99.00 stock shifter and bracket
$50.00 stock auto yoke and new universals
$55.00 ford racing parts 8 bolt flex plate
$50.00 auto ecu.
$45.00 new filter and fluid.

If I had the money I would build the strongest fast and quickest 2V anyone has ever seen while sparing no expense. I know some people wonder why 2v. For me it's just more enjoyable to push the 2V's envelope, and affordable! The new trick flow heads with a race port should open new windows of opportunity.

With the patriots alone since it worked out for me(I acknowledge for others it hasn't but there is less occurrences lately). I have saved at least 1200 dollars. That alone will pay for my transmission. Plus I already have the 5 speed sold for 400 when it comes out.

But your point in more than valid.
Oh I here ya man, If you hadn't noticed my modding has pretty much stood still for 2 or so years. Now I am going to just do some little things for this summers Mid America meet.

Failed company, back taxes, and a GF in college FTL I did get a rather nice raise last month though, hence the summer event.

Quick Reply: patriot head problems?!