4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

abs disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Alpine

Default abs disconnect

is there a way to disconnect the abs on a 99 gt? i hate abs and want it gone.[:@]
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: abs disconnect

i wish i had ABS! trust me, you'll regret taking it off
Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

i dont know why you'd hate it but check thefusebox?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I agree,a car with the handling characteristics of Mustangs needs ABS.I wish mine had it since the time I went through a ditch while trying to brake and miss a deer at the same time.
The brakes overpowered the available traction when I swerved and the rear end tried to outrun the front end.The car came back in line when I lifted off the brakes but the snap oversteer built into the rear suspension caused the rear end to go off the road into a ditch full of rocks.I recovered the car and was pointed straight down the road but the fuel cut-off triggered and I had to stop and reset it.

$1800 damage in the blink of an eye.

I went around a guy stopped in the middle of the road sideways in my Lincoln MK VIII by stomping the brakes and whippin' the wheel thanks to the ABS.

ABS FTW!!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

just unplug it either from the ABS module or pull the fuse. I hate ABS too. I've been born and raised driving vehicals without ABS and once you learn to control a car without it, you can be better than any computer. ABS was designed for the average driver, like grandma, or my mom who doesnt know what to do in a panic situation and just stomps the brakes. Formula 1, nascar, rally, no race cars have it for a reason, humans can be trained to be better at this point in time with the right training. If someone feels more compfortable with ABS, so be it, thats what it was invented for. For me and the few people out there who hate it, just disconnect it and unplug the light. I've wrecked twice because of ABS. If you are sliding sideways and your car has ABS you will keep turning and go right off the road. Without ABS, when you lock the brakes up you can continue in a straight line sliding sideways and avoid things like trees, mailboxes, ditches, cars, ect. Its personal preference IMO.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

just unplug it either from the ABS module or pull the fuse. I hate ABS too. I've been born and raised driving vehicals without ABS and once you learn to control a car without it, you can be better than any computer. ABS was designed for the average driver, like grandma, or my mom who doesnt know what to do in a panic situation and just stomps the brakes. Formula 1, nascar, rally, no race cars have it for a reason, humans can be trained to be better at this point in time with the right training. If someone feels more compfortable with ABS, so be it, thats what it was invented for. For me and the few people out there who hate it, just disconnect it and unplug the light. I've wrecked twice because of ABS. If you are sliding sideways and your car has ABS you will keep turning and go right off the road. Without ABS, when you lock the brakes up you can continue in a straight line sliding sideways and avoid things like trees, mailboxes, ditches, cars, ect. Its personal preference IMO.
[/align][/align]+1,000,000 -- Well said! ABS is great for people who have never been taught, or never learned, to brake properly.[/align][/align]Therefore I think it's a wonderful thing for those who like it, because they obviously don't know how to drive and their having it probably makes the roadways safer...[/align]
Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Alpine

exactly my point. ive been raised on cars without abs and i can brake and control acar better without it. all do respect to those who prefere it. i just dont.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

Can you guys give me some pointers, because i have no abs and i if someone stops short infront of me, ill slam on the breaks like any1's first reaction and slide, while with abs i wouldnt be sliding as much....
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

if u want ur abs gone you can alway lift up your back seat and uplug any or all of the abs sensors that go to your rear tires. they are clips on the floor of the seat, youll see them
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incubus1275
Formula 1, nascar, rally, no race cars have it for a reason,
ABS was banned by FIA in the 90's because it made the cars to easy to drive (along with other driver aids). Disconnect it if you want, but it can do nothing but help.
You may be able to learn to control a car in a slide, but a car that is not sliding will always be more in control then one that is.

One note to ease the "good driver" push back: If you expect the car to slide and it doesn't, then you are SOL. If you expect it to stick and it doesn't, then you are SOL. Just learn to know what to expect, and take any electronic aid you can get.

Here is the link to the FIA web page discussing breaks:
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/un...port/5284.html

Quick Reply: abs disconnect