4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Question

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
tomas1

Default Exhaust Question

My brother is overseas in the military and he has a 96 mustang gt at home.... He gets a leave of absence for Christmas break so I wanted to get him a christmas gift for when he get home. He loves his car and I found this website on his computer history so I figured this must be the place he uses to get all his questions answered.... From what I can see he has flowmaster exhaust a BBK mid section with what looks like cats( I think that's what they look like... HAHA..) I know he said he has a exhaust leak somewhere in the system so with all this new stuff he said he went to a mechanic and he told him that it was his headers. I want to spend around 400 to 500 dollars, which set of headers would match up to this system and work well for that price range??? Thanks guys I appreciate the help
Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Question

Shorty headers http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8macpro.htm#2
Old 12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
timi
2nd Gear Member

well headers tend to leak anyway. i recomend taking the car to a shop have em find the leak and fix it. (re-tighten the bolts) you could get him new gaskets from bassani (they make the best)(about 50$) trust me, it will cost more than 500 for new headers, plus he'd have to spend about a grand to have em installed or spend a weekend doing it himself and he could still have a leak!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

+1 on new gaskets, hopefully thats where the leak is coming from. it will cost a fortune to have them installed.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

by them i mean new headers
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM
tomas1

I don't think he would mind the work, he usually does all his own stuff.... Can any of you guys give me some good headers to look at getting him? I think he would like the added performance.... Thanks for your help
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

umm the same amount of effort will be required to just change out the gaskets, so in reality the only money hes saving is the price of the headers and in actuality (which the ones in the other guys link are only 350)...the leak is probably not even from the gaskets. on most of these cars (mine included)the new pipe doesnt bolt up correctly to the drivers side manifold and it leaks there a little bit (the bolts on the manifold have a stopper preventing the pipe from bieng pulled tight enuff to not leak)

if u dont think he'd mind doing the work i say get him the headers, pick up some good gaskets while your at it. labor at a shop will run give or take aobut 600$, or a day +/- of work to give you an estimate.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

MAC Long Tube headers - http://www.macperformance.net/defaul...FRsFagodMGwk8A

I think they are having a discount promotion for MM members - https://mustangforums.com/announcement.asp?id=97

John
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

I've heard nothing but good things about MAC ceramic LT headers. If my brother had me a set of LT's under the tree I would probably kiss him on the mouth.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:57 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

A good gift as headers would be BBK Shorties that you can find at:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
they are 299 and you can pick up some good gaskets and/or stage 8 locking bolts to kill the leak problem. As for some of those on this site, it's always LT's or go home, the truth of the matter is, on a stock engine with just bolt ons, you won't even benefit from LT's because you can't safely run your engine at a high enough rpm range. If you got the forged bottom end, more power to you. Another thing is that he want's to keep what exhaust he has there, so LT's will not work because he'll need a new mid-pipe to run them. Shorty's will also add a little bit of crispness to the sound of the exhaust, but you benefit very little from HP gains. On that same note, shorty's are better than stock exhaust manifolds anyday. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Question