4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone recognise these plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:03 AM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone recognise these plugs??

Do the basics first.

Check the:
fuel filter
fuel pump
spark plugs
ignition wires
i dont think the alternator would have anything to do with it, but it couldn't hurt to check that too
check for an exhaust leak also
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 AM
geo1400

I have noticed what looks like a small hole in one of the rearexhaust boxes, would this cause the engine to rev to 2k at idle?? I think it is getting worse, it's doing it more often now.

My Air filter looks very dirty, could this cause the idle any problems??

I know I need to give it someone to look at but i'm so busy at the moment that i'm trying to see if it's something I can fix.

Cheers, Geo1400
Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

ORIGINAL: 1fstblckgt

Well if the O2 sensors before the cat's are unplugged then it will affect the running of your car dramatically, might not even run... Because they read the A/F mixture.

The sensors after the cats do nothing more than tell if the cats are still working properly. These are the ones in the pictures that you have taken. I'm guessing you are not the first owner of the car? Does it have any other mods on it?
My car runs fine, and one of mine is unplugged. I couldn't get my hand up there to plug it back in.

your car more than likely isnt switching over into closed loop and running in open loop all the time which is not good for your motor. if i were you i would immediatly go plug that sensor in.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Well if the O2 sensors before the cat's are unplugged then it will affect the running of your car dramatically, might not even run... Because they read the A/F mixture.

The sensors after the cats do nothing more than tell if the cats are still working properly. These are the ones in the pictures that you have taken. I'm guessing you are not the first owner of the car? Does it have any other mods on it?
My car runs fine, and one of mine is unplugged. I couldn't get my hand up there to plug it back in.

your car more than likely isnt switching over into closed loop and running in open loop all the time which is not good for your motor. if i were you i would immediatly go plug that sensor in.
yeah that should not be a "ill do it when i have time" type of thing, sounds like your car needs a good looking over and full tuneup. do you best to see if the o2 sensors will still go in. their threds may be rusted over by now. not to worry you but get that thing up on jack stands and check. if they even are o2 sensors.. my jeeps look different and i havent looked at the o2's on my car. best of luck
Old 12-30-2007, 02:27 PM
geo1400

Ok thanks guys, up early tomorrow morning to try fit them back in!!

I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers Geo1400
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: geo1400

No CEL on and it does work cause it comes on with ignition. I'm guessing the mid pipe is stock, possibly even the original.

If the O2 sensors aren't plugged in how would that affect the performance/drive of the car?
I'm gonna guess and say you have a tune in the computer that turns the O2 sensors off because it looks like the wires are burnt off and no longer on the purple conector end?
No change in performance on those as they are the back ones.

Air filter, spark plugs, pcv valve, dirty MAF (mass air flow sensor) this is the electoronics part between the air filter housing and the tube that goes to the t/b. All of these will affect idle qualities.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

take a picture of your midpipe, I am thinking the previous owner had an o/r mid put on and had had mil elims installed.

I would recommend cleaning your pcv valve, it should take about 20 mins at the most, just gotta get a socket set and some carb cleaner. This should fix your idling, as for the crappy mileage, do you know when it was last tuned up?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 AM
geo1400

Not sure about the last time it was tuned up. Just checked to see if there was anywhere for me to plug in these plugs but there isn't a single plug on the exhaust or cats. I'm not sure what kind of exhaust I have have but it isn't like the one in the picture on the previous page?? I read a lot about "H" and "X" pipes, I would say mine is an "H", not sure about being aftermarket though cause it has FORD stamped on it??

Guy's i'm really new to this Mustang business and i'm losing it with the lingo!! Aereon, what's o/r mid and mil elims?? I'm ok with everything Targamentioned apart from pcv valve? what does that stand for?

I've always had old BMW's where things seem a little simpler!!

Really appreciate your help guys!!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:02 AM
SnakeCarDriver
1st Gear Member

But the pic with the two plugs looks like a transmission housing. Could those be idle and speed sensors??
Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I found this picture and just circled the 02 sensors and plugs... Hope this helps.

Pypes catted X-pipe w00t!

Quick Reply: Anyone recognise these plugs??