4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Taking car for damage inspection, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

Default Taking car for damage inspection, need advice

Hey guys,

My car got rear-ended twice last Sunday – first by a guy in an SUV and again when he was hit by the lady behind him. I was driving on the freeway and was slowing down for traffic when he rammed right into me. My car is still drivable, but the two cars behind me had their engine blocks destroyed.

Anyway, I'm taking the car in to my insurance company tomorrow for a damage inspection. I was wondering if any of you had experience with this sort of thing, and what kind of advice you could give me to make sure that the insurance company doesn't overlook any hidden damages. So far in addition to the external damages, I think my cigarette lighter is messed up and my fuel gauge is showing full even though I drove 70 miles since the last fill-up. Also, does anyone know of a good repair shop in Oahu? I'll post some pics of the damage later.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Taking car for damage inspection, need advice

My best advise to you would be take it to the ford dealer body shop. The will find all the damage. The ins company won't.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

The insurance company is going to dick you over.... Go to the ford dealership like ox said.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM
bigmoose15
2nd Gear Member

i believe you have the right to take it anywhere you want. the insurance company will try feeding you lines of crap like "if you bring it to us we'll gaurentee the repair". bring it to whatever local shop people around you recommend and the insurance company will send an adjuster out and look at it. if your lucky the shop will over bill the insurance company and save you your deductible.

The jolt definately messed up your sending unit, which is why you are reading full. I hit someone from behind with my old pickup and he had the same problem with his gauge.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

We have All State insurance, when my wife hit a deer in the spring it got the front really bad, I didn't even want to open the hood without the fear of it not closing again.

We took it to the All State drive through claim and the adjuster felt the same way and did the quote on only what he could see. If the body shop found more damage then was quoted for after the hood was opend, all the body shop to do was call it in and AS would pay the extra amount.

Worked for me.

Lynn
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1fstblckgt

The insurance company is going to dick you over.... Go to the ford dealership like ox said.
Not all companys will. We never had a problem with All State in over 15 years.

Lynn
Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 PM
iamyourdaddy26
1st Gear Member

+1 forAllState i took my car to really high end body shop when someone backed into me and they paid for it to get wet sanded and waxed as well as the damnage
Old 12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

Can I look around for different repair estimates or does the insurance company lock the rate after their inspection? My insurance company is AIG Hawaii.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

We have All State insurance, when my wife hit a deer in the spring it got the front really bad, I didn't even want to open the hood without the fear of it not closing again.

We took it to the All State drive through claim and the adjuster felt the same way and did the quote on only what he could see. If the body shop found more damage then was quoted for after the hood was opend, all the body shop to do was call it in and AS would pay the extra amount.

Worked for me.

Lynn
Yeah, thats how it usually goes. When my dd got hit over the summer they quoted only what they could see. They left probably another grand out of the adjusters quote. Reason being, the body shop will contact them if there is any extra damage, not listed on the quote.AND because people (like me) don't fix their cars, they just pocket the cash, so it saves them money.

You can point out damage to the adjuster while the vehicle is inspected. Wheter he/she makes note of it is a different story. Dont be surprised if the quote you're givenseems low...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:29 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

ORIGINAL: 1fstblckgt

Not all companys will. We never had a problem with All State in over 15 years.

Lynn
Lynn,

I deal with alpha insurance. And they have dicked me over every chance that they got. It is quite frustrating actually.
Maybe I need to switch to all state.

Quick Reply: Taking car for damage inspection, need advice