4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger Question

ORIGINAL: banned

prochargers are kinda like mustangs, with signature sounds. What these guys are sayign is right, you can run a BOV, however whether that is a good idea remains to be seen. Ive done some research on this, tuning seems to be an issue most of the time due to lack of experience with this, also there is a good chance that a bov will contribute to increased stock ring wear from the rich condition associated with them. I have seen 2 or 3 that have run the bov setup, non of them ran right and lower ets afterwards... now how many factors you could attribute that is a toss up, but I think that recircualting setup is better. maybe somebody w/ this setup will chime in
I never had to retune my procharger when I ran it as a BOV. If your already set up as a blow through and tuned correctly, you shouldn't have to change much. Like banned said, you will get a rich spike when going from WOT to completely letting off the gas, but the same happens when your recirculated, just not as drastically. The only benefit to a blow off setup (which is debatable) is not recirculating the hot air that has already been compressed. When you blow off the extra air, you supercharger is forced so inhale fresh air from your fenderwell that is much cooler than the recirculated air, therefore (in theory) will cause your supercharger to operate at lower temps. The real reason most people will run a BOV vs. Bypass is for the sound.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

the prochargers bov is a piece of s#!% althoe it dose have (i think) just the right noise. upgrading to a ggredy bolw through bov (make sure its a vaccume type) would prolly help your boost build a little. and keep the sound nice and subtle. loud bov's are for tubo'd 4 bangers.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Whamo

the prochargers bov is a piece of s#!% althoe it dose have (i think) just the right noise. upgrading to a ggredy bolw through bov (make sure its a vaccume type) would prolly help your boost build a little. and keep the sound nice and subtle. loud bov's are for tubo'd 4 bangers.
Not the billet race bypass that came with mine. That thing rocks. I've seen the stock ones that look like a smashed pepsi can.