4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I believe I have a coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Default I believe I have a coolant leak

Last night I had my car running and there was a bunch of steam coming out over/under the headlights, I could smell the coolant, now my question is, since it was too dark for me to see anything last night. Where would be the first places I should check for leaks, I will of course look at all the hoses and everything but there was nothing at all dripping on to the ground so I don't think the leak is too bad.

99 GT
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I believe I have a coolant leak

You prob. have the inatke manifold with the plastic coolant crossover. it happend to me a year ago. Youll need to replace it with a new pi intake manifold with an aluminum crossover, im not sure but i think you can get a replacement from the dealership.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Actually I replaced that in May
The coolant was low, I just let the car run for long enough to get hot and send coolant through the engine but no steam or leaks today...

Why would it be doing it last night but not today, I was not driving hard when it happened or anything and the bottle was almost to the bottom so it leaked out a good bit at some point but I can't find any wet areas, nothing on the ground.. no steam, I am confused!
Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

If you cannot find an external leak,a used oil analysis from a third party lab such as Blackstone will tell you if you have an internal leak. The culprit at that point would most likely be head gasket or intake.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Would that make steam pour out around the headlights?

Which it is not doing today, so either way I am confused... it wouldn't just go away.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

Maybe you were steaming out the overflow tube. If you have a leak your find it when the car gets hot.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

I let it get pretty hot just now, what would cause it to leak out the overflow tube? And would that be enough to drain the bottle almost to the bottom?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

head gaskets are always the first to go in our cars. maybe leaking into a cylinder through that. u getting any misfires?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Nope, runs like a champ, without the steam I wouldn't even have thought there was a problem, well that and the low coolant.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Ok I took a drive and it started again, there is a small pool of coolant under the intake manifold... not near as much as when I had to replace it, but I can't see this one being bad especially this soon...

I guess I will have to pull it all apart and see if maybe the gasket is leaking or a hose cracked or something... damn this car to hell!

Quick Reply: I believe I have a coolant leak