4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does anyone know of a good "how to" on mid-pipe replacement is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Benr7132
1st Gear Member

Default Does anyone know of a good "how to" on mid-pipe replacement is?

I'm looking for a "how to" on replacing my stock midpipe with cats for an off-road x-pipe...anyone know of any good "how tos" out there?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Does anyone know of a good "how to" on mid-pipe replacement is?

its pretty straight forward, you should need a how to
Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

It is very simple man. Here is what you are going to need: a penetrating oil (like PB Blaster) to make your life easier; 15mm socket (I'm pretty sure that is the size for the manifold bolts); extensions for the ratchet; a universal joint (a swivel socket to help get the right angle);a breaker bar to help get the bolts loosed up; and, depending on your year, a new gasket for the passenger side manifold where it connects to the midpipe.
Here is the process:
1. Just jack the front of your car up as high as you feel comfortable going, and place it on jack stands.
2. Hit all the bolts that are holding the stock midpipe in place with the penetrating oil (there are 8 of them: two on each manifold, two on each side connecting to the catback).
3. While you allow the oil to soak in, disconnect the clipsconnecting the O2 sensors so that they can come out with the stock pipe.
4.Loosen all the bolts to the midpipe, and then take them out. Be careful that you don't drop it on your head. Here is where an extra set of hands will come in handy.
5.Transfer the O2 sensors to the new pipe, keeping them in the same locations.
6. Bolt the new pipe up to the car. Do not tighten everything until you have the pipe sitting where you want it.
7. Tighten everything up. Make sure your O2 sensors are plugged back in. Enjoy the sound.

You will likely throw a CEL after going catless, but this can be fixed with either a tuner or MIL eliminators.

Oh, and don't quote me on this, but I think the bolts for the section of the midpipe that connects with the catback are 10mm, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

Nice write up. Thats it in a nut shell
Old 12-27-2007, 02:05 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Thanks. It really is a simple process.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

I would agree. once you crawl under the car and look at it, it is very straight forward.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

It is very simple man. Here is what you are going to need: a penetrating oil (like PB Blaster) to make your life easier; 15mm socket (I'm pretty sure that is the size for the manifold bolts); extensions for the ratchet; a universal joint (a swivel socket to help get the right angle);a breaker bar to help get the bolts loosed up; and, depending on your year, a new gasket for the passenger side manifold where it connects to the midpipe.
Here is the process:
1. Just jack the front of your car up as high as you feel comfortable going, and place it on jack stands.
2. Hit all the bolts that are holding the stock midpipe in place with the penetrating oil (there are 8 of them: two on each manifold, two on each side connecting to the catback).
3. While you allow the oil to soak in, disconnect the clipsconnecting the O2 sensors so that they can come out with the stock pipe.
4.Loosen all the bolts to the midpipe, and then take them out. Be careful that you don't drop it on your head. Here is where an extra set of hands will come in handy.
5.Transfer the O2 sensors to the new pipe, keeping them in the same locations.
6. Bolt the new pipe up to the car. Do not tighten everything until you have the pipe sitting where you want it.
7. Tighten everything up. Make sure your O2 sensors are plugged back in. Enjoy the sound.

You will likely throw a CEL after going catless, but this can be fixed with either a tuner or MIL eliminators.

Good quick write up..
Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
laserredgt
3rd Gear Member

dont wanna steal your thread but i have a 2002 gt stock exhaust except for the flow 40's was wondering what xpipe to buy because they say something like "for long tubes" or For short tubes" i dunno what my car has for a perfect fit..THanks
Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserredgt

dont wanna steal your thread but i have a 2002 gt stock exhaust except for the flow 40's was wondering what xpipe to buy because they say something like "for long tubes" or For short tubes" i dunno what my car has for a perfect fit..THanks
The only time you will use a mid-pipe that is for long tube headers is if you have long tube headers. You need to just get the regular one.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
laserredgt
3rd Gear Member

hmmm whats the fine for catless midpipes?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of a good "how to" on mid-pipe replacement is?