4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

t56 transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default t56 transmission swap

Alright, a shop that I know, from the local car club, has a termie in the shop for an engine overhaul. They have asked if I am interested in a tranny swap, since I've made it clear on those forums that I am. The cobra will get a lot of the auto parts minus the tranny while I'll be getting all the manual parts to do a conversion.

My question is, how hard would this be? The hardest part I would imagine is fabbing up the tranny wiring harness up to my gt.

Main reason I'm asking is I have a friend that is mechanically inclined, however he has never tackled anything like this. He was very certain that he is able to do a tranny swap out of another gt but with the cobra, he is not too certain. With that being said, I may want to save up a little and ask the shop to help me if this would be too hard. Anyone with a write up, or has swapped a t56 in their gt please chime in, I am wanting to do the install myself as this will save me a load of money (college student supporting family) and get me more hands on experience with my car (noob willing to learn about his car), however I do not have another car to get around (no secondary bucket to drive while main bucket is down) in while I have it apart, so I'd need to be able to get this done within 2 days.

I'm wanting to go this route due to it being able to hold a bit more power than a t3650, also I'm wanting a manual due to my car being used for mostly SOLOII and autox events. (don't want to sell car due to suspension mods)
Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 AM
3ohtwo

Default RE: t56 transmission swap

i know that it is possible because my buddy has a 99 with a t-56 swap...as to how hard it is or how long it takes...im unsure
Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Skooler

so your Gt is an Auto? and your converting it to a 6spd from a cobra? should be interesting....it doesnt seem like there is even enough room for a 3rd pedal on a stock auto....but i guess u can take out that foot rest, not to sure...goodluck
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Shouldn't be too difficult. You will need to swap the pedal assembly, you'll have to do something about the wiring harness, do you have access to the cobra harness? I'm not sure what the differences in the EEC are going to be.... You will need the transmission cross member and the driveshaft. Make sure you get the flywheel because you're flex plate isn't going to work so well.

I guess that wasn't as "technical" as you were probably looking for but it's a cool idea (the swap) so I figured I'd chime in.

Edit: I'm not sure if the 03Gt are a 6 or an 8 bolt but the cobra is an 8 so I'd look into that too.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

as far as the parts, I'd be receiving the tranny harness, cross member, tranny w/ bellhousing, flywheel, driveshaft ( I may buy an aluminum driveshaft + loop), pedal assy (havent seen his pedals,I may need to buy another set of bullitt pedals for it) , pressure plate, and the short shifter ( I may get the mgw if I don't like the tri ax)

as for the clutch pedal not fitting in an automatic, it will fit, if you take out the transmissions an auto gt and a manual gt is almost identical. I just need the whole pedal assembly from the cobra.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:40 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

So are the 03 GT8 bolt flywheels then?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

as far as the parts, I'd be receiving the tranny harness, cross member, tranny w/ bellhousing, flywheel, driveshaft ( I may buy an aluminum driveshaft + loop), pedal assy (havent seen his pedals,I may need to buy another set of bullitt pedals for it) , and the short shifter ( I may get the mgw if I don't like the tri ax)

as for the clutch pedal not fitting in an automatic, it will fit, if you take out the transmissions an auto gt and a manual gt is almost identical. I just need the whole pedal assembly from the cobra.
If you buy an aluminum driveshaft make sure you get the T-56 speicfic shaft. the shaft length is different than the stock GT shaft, and will either not work or not work correctly.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

IMO, its not worth it, the only one truly worth it, and this is just my opinion, is the viper spec t-56 b/c of the super high 6th gear ratio.

You have a 6 bolt flywheel, the cobra is an 8, you will need a gt flywheel, you can pick one up for around 100 bux
Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

^ +1 not worth it unless its a viper spec.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

IMO, its not worth it, the only one truly worth it, and this is just my opinion, is the viper spec t-56 b/c of the super high 6th gear ratio.

You have a 6 bolt flywheel, the cobra is an 8, you will need a gt flywheel, you can pick one up for around 100 bux
The only real help is when you want a good gear still after 110-120 MPH (depending on your rear gear ratio). The .80 first overdrive gear (5th) is what gives the LS1 fbody and 03/04 cobra that legendary "top end" pull... they are still at a .80 overdrive when shifting into 5th while a 5 speed car is lugging it out at .67 or less.

In other words, if racing above 110-120 MPH is your thing, it will help out. otherwise, its just a wasted gear.

Quick Reply: t56 transmission swap