4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch messing up

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

Default clutch messing up

its only a 5 month old stock clutch...but every now and then it feels "spongy" so 2 speak like real soft and sometimes it sticks to the floor for a second...and it will only move an inch off the floor and grab right away...what could b up?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:41 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch messing up

well if it is messing up like that...then first thing i would check is the clutch cable..easy to check..go under your car andyou will see were it goes to the transmission...now just mess around with that and make sure everything is tight and then if thats all set then its somethinginside the trans
Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 AM
650ChargedSTang
1st Gear Member

yeah i would check the clutch cable first...it could be a quick adjustment and thats it
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Mike02GT
1st Gear Member

Take it to ford.. You should still have a warranty...
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mike02GT

I have taken it to Ford...they say nothings wrong w/ it..
Old 03-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder

ORIGINAL: Mike02GT

I have taken it to Ford...they say nothings wrong w/ it..
Who replaced the clutch for you? If it was the dealership:

Have Ford Document that "nothing is wrong' with the clutch. Have one of their Ford/ASE Master techs take if for a drive and do a real diagnostic on it. They will be a pain in the *** about it but Ford has a special evaluation form they fill out when the customer requests the car be given a complete once over including a drive by their Master Tech with you in it, not just a quick look. They chalked it up to my wife not knowing how to drive the manual tranny and the fact the car is a 4cyl with tall gears...B.S. as we've both drive stick for over 15 years.

My wife and I had a similar problem with the clutch in a 2002 Escape ($900 for clutch replacement) when it was under warranty and after only 2000 miles after they replaced the Clutch Master for another problem. They swore nothing was wrong with the clutch (chattering as you accelerate from a stop in first gear). They chalked it up to my wife not knowing how to drive the manual tranny and the fact the car is a 4cyl with tall gears...B.S. as we've both drive stick for over 15 years.

We took it to an aftermarket tranny shop that specialized in ford. Turns out the Clutch plate had bad springs. Took it back to the same dealership and threatened to take them to BBB, Ford Corp, and the Automotive group that caused Sears all sorts of problems a few years ago for fraud and poor customer service. They quickly fixed the clutch.

Don't let Ford roll over you on this one. It's a pain the butt to get things done, but get everything documented and be ready to make good on your threats. If you need, I can give you the exact name of the document. ( have to go dig it up in our files)
Old 03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Black_03GT
1st Gear Member

yes like he said ^^^ it willbe a pain in the A$$! It took us 6 months of arguing with Ford to finally get them to cooperate. Threatened sueing them 2 times, and then sent in Lemon Forms to the state. Ford jumped all over it then, and bought my car back. They also charged me 1,200 $ for new clutch flywheel and pressue plate while i was under warranty. Sent us a 400$ check ???? dont know why.
Who knows, since i no longer have the car.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Three things will probably solve your problem here. Clutch is grabbing, engages correctly, and doesn't slip? Sometimes it's fine?

Alright. I had a similar problem with my clutch for awhile and on a whim figured this out. Get the steeda adjustable quadrant, adjustable cable, and the firewall adjuster. Your pedal sticking to the floor, and no coming back right away is probably a result of the ****ty plastic quadrant being broken. Then the factory adjuster allows the pedal to move without actually engaging the clutch.

It's crazy. But as soon as all the teeth are broken off the factory adjuster, the pedal just feels all wrong.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Like Sidewayz said, a new quadrant would help. Realize your current clutch is hydrolic, and has no cable. It sounds like to me you want the disengagment point 'higher' on the pedal. -Or rather you want to be able to depress the clutch pedal a few inches to get disengagment. Agian, like Sidewayz said, a new cable and quadrant would probably take care of the problem. I have done this as 'standard equipment' on my later madel mustangs as soon as I get them on the street. The clutch is one of my biggest pet peevs on my car. It has to be perfect.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

His clutch isn't hydraulic Birdie...And it does have a cable. Which car were you thinking of?

Quick Reply: clutch messing up