4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is a Catback Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What is a Catback Exhaust??

so he whole point of this was to see what we knew about the subject?...

MaKaVeLi
Date 1/7/2008 7:53:30 PM

look at my sig pic [8D]

^^ lol....funny stuff.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaun12

so he whole point of this was to see what we knew about the subject?...

MaKaVeLi
Date 1/7/2008 7:53:30 PM

look at my sig pic [8D]

^^ lol....funny stuff.
No. I wanted to know if what I thought was right and if anyone knew for sure. Got several different definitions in the replies. So, Im stuck with what I originally thought I guess. I'm going with lizzyfan; I have cat-less-back exhaust. It can't be catback if I don't have cats! [sm=smiley1.gif]
Old 01-07-2008, 11:15 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The exhaust from the h-pipe back is called "catback exhaust" no matter what you have for a in front of it. Thats just what it's called. It doesn't mean you have cats on your car. I guess you and lizzyfan can be cute together and call it cat-less-back if you want.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

The exhaust from the h-pipe back is called "catback exhaust" no matter what you have for a in front of it. Thats just what it's called. It doesn't mean you have cats on your car. I guess you and lizzyfan can be cute together and call it cat-less-back if you want.
No, not trying to be cute. Just trying to understand why people using the sameterm (catback exhaust) are describing different things. You see it here and in all kinds of articles. I think you are correct when you say "thats just what it's called" because cats are not necessarily involved. But it's still true that people use that term (no matter why its called that) to describe different things. Evenin this thread there are those who say it includes h-pipes all the way to tips. Others say it's just mufflers and tips. Some are in between. Finally, I think it means everything following the h-pipe all the way to the tips. Just don't know for sure if I'm right. But I give up. [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

catback...is in fact from the cat's back.

off road h's and x's are without the cats.

First off, he says it's from the cat's back. Yes that's correct, but for someone that is askin this question has no understandings of what this actually means. The average dumbass that has no idea if this includes the cats or not? (not saying your a dumbass) How do I know that you realize that? I didn't contradict myself as I stated perfectly clear that a catback exhaust does no include the cats. The phrase itself "cat-back" for the non car guy would think it includes cats! Just for giggles, I asked my wife who is somewhat knowledgeable on cars what she thought "catback" meant and she it is your catalytic converters to your mufflers! So, don't say I'm the wise cracker if your the one asking the question and I'm trying to describe it to the tee. If you can't handle it, I suggest not asking such a silly question and do a search before you ask!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

J/K about the cute thing, just poking fun.

You're right. Just replacing mufflers and tips, would be called that. Catback usually comes together in a kit with pipes, mufflers, and tips.
I think everyone is on the same page on this one just might be saying it differently.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Lefty
2nd Gear Member

ok guys no need to re-invent the wheel here haha. Cat back refering to a stock set up is from the h-pipe back. lets see how many people we can get to respond to this silly thread. Good topic tho. I like hearing things like cat-less back, puts smile on my face while i sit here at work haha.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lefty

ok guys no need to re-invent the wheel here haha. Cat back refering to a stock set up is from the h-pipe back. lets see how many people we can get to respond to this silly thread. Good topic tho. I like hearing things like cat-less back, puts smile on my face while i sit here at work haha.
Thanks for understanding. Not everyone enjoyed it apparently. At the end of the day the original question was validated. You get about as many different ideas as replies.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

catback...is in fact from the cat's back.

off road h's and x's are without the cats.

First off, he says it's from the cat's back. Yes that's correct, but for someone that is askin this question has no understandings of what this actually means. The average dumbass that has no idea if this includes the cats or not? (not saying your a dumbass) How do I know that you realize that? I didn't contradict myself as I stated perfectly clear that a catback exhaust does no include the cats. The phrase itself "cat-back" for the non car guy would think it includes cats! Just for giggles, I asked my wife who is somewhat knowledgeable on cars what she thought "catback" meant and she it is your catalytic converters to your mufflers! So, don't say I'm the wise cracker if your the one asking the question and I'm trying to describe it to the tee. If you can't handle it, I suggest not asking such a silly question and do a search before you ask!
Thanks. I can handle it. I was only pointing out that wisecrack answers don't really help anything in a friendly forum. Only wisecrackers would take offense at that. As you can see from the replies though, it wasn't a silly question becaue"catback" got almost as many definitions as replies. And I did do my research it before I asked. But, researching only gives you that many more opinions. Generally, for most manufacturers, "catback" seems to mean everything behind the h-pipes to the tips whether you have cats or not.Some may agree, some may not. Apparently, there is nostandard definition. Justas we saw here. Sorry for those who got upset about it. Wasn't trying to make anyone mad.
[sm=closed.gif] [sm=smiley29.gif]
Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Don't sweat it bro. Cause I have headers toH-pipe to quiet flows and exiting 2.5inch tips I call that an "offroad" system. I have NO cats.I always assumed a catback system meant any hardware "after or proceeding the MOTHERF@#$ING catalytic converter". It seems to make sense, no? I thought guys bought these to get the sound they wanted but were still smog legal with the converters on. And I've been flamed way worse, you're a lightweight...I notice more LS1 cars seem to go with catback than stangs do. Just something that struck me is all.

Quick Reply: What is a Catback Exhaust??