4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Superchargers VS T Turbos.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Superchargers VS T Turbos.

while your at it you may want to bore it out and have custom grinded cam's to go with whatever you are doing f/i wise
Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 AM
durtyred

ok, i'm a beginner at this racing thing. you'll have to elaborate a little with some of the words. i'm all about doing it (and learning as i go) from my mistakes and all. how much would it cost to get it bored out? i got like 84k miles on my engine, would that hender anything? i will keep it tip top but would the mileage put a affect on anything? as you can see i still got a lot to learn lol, my latest lesson was installing a k&n intake. i learned never disarm a battery if theres a wierd blinking (THEFT) light on your dash and you dont have a device to arm/disarm........ my car shut down, i was out there until 2 in the morning freezing my a-- off trying to fix it. anyway, once i find somewhere else to mod, (that fits my pocket) i'll be on it. just dont want to make anymore BIG mistakes like that.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 AM
durtyred

so i looked around, and off the subject of the tt's and superchargers. i'm getting a new shifter, question is, i have a stock t-45 tran. i want the pro 5.0 shifter. will getting that affect swapping my stock t-45 later on down the line??
Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

You've received around $10-15k of advice so far. That must be one heck of a tax refund. The best thing that you can do is study what all the mods do and come up with plan. If you do that you can avoid buying conflicting mods or replacing mods with mods. Your first decision is how much horsepower do you want (or can afford). The stock rods and pistons are good to around 425 rwhp (That's nearly 500 hp at the crank). Some people have recommended a little less if your car is a daily driver. If you plan to go higher than that then you need forged internals.

Performance improved (PI) heads come stock on the 99-04 GTs. They will fit your motor but they will increase your compression ratio. That is good for a naturally aspirated motor but not for a forced induction motor (supercharger or turbocharger). Since you say you want forced induction you might not want to do the PI swap. Turbochargers come with their own exhaust system so if your heart is set on a turbo you might not want to buy the headers just yet. If you intend to get a supercharger then don't buy underdrive pulleys. They don't work with the belt driven superchargers. The type of supercharger makes a difference as well. A twin-screw replaces the top of the motor so don't buy a new intake or plenum. Make a plan that fits your budget then execute the plan.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

If you just want a little extra oomph go with the supercharger, if you want huge horsepower numbers go with the turbo (after building up the engine with forged components, doing suspension work, new fuel injectors, look into new tranny). As you can see if you want big numbers you have to pay to play
Old 01-11-2008, 01:36 PM
durtyred

well i guess i got a lot of decesion making to do. i do want major speed, but my wallet doesnt have major doo, so i'll just have to make minor adjustments first, then go to the bigger things. as long as i dont get something that will block another mod later. thanks a lot for the advice people, its needed. but will me getting this new (shifter affect me later. as far as other mods i'll go for exhaust X-pipes is were i'm movin towards.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

It would probably be more worthwhile (and Fun) to just get a Zex Nitrous Kit and run a 75 shot of nitrous with the miles you got on the motor. But anything above that might be pushing that motor.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

A shifter for the T-5/T-45 transmission will not interfer with any other mods. It will not fit a newer transmission should you change later.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: QatarStang

If you just want a little extra oomph go with the supercharger, if you want huge horsepower numbers go with the turbo (after building up the engine with forged components, doing suspension work, new fuel injectors, look into new tranny). As you can see if you want big numbers you have to pay to play
Superchargers are only good for a little extra horsepower!!?? Without getting into which is better, which probably doesn't have a straightforward answer, you can make more hp than you can use on the street with a s/c. Generally, they are less expensive to buy and install and maintain. I have a Procharger P1SC which helps me makejust under500 rwhp with the rest of the mods. With my cams, which I am in process with now, I should be around 540-550 rwhp. And my P1SC is the "small" Procharger. I'm making 11-12# boost with my 3.1" pulley.Procharger has "d's" and "f's" which makeway more than mine. Other good brands and styles of s/c's also. So, ifhewantsmore than about 750-800 hp for a steet car,he better go with a turbo, or better yet, two! Finally, I agree with oxfordgt thathe should start by buildinghisshortblock. Then, do whatever you want and you will have the basis to make hp. (I blew my stock block/internals 4.6 2v up like a grenade) I went with forged rods, pistons, andCobra crank. Now, I can concentrate on HP!! (Forgot...my T-45 got stretched out of shape too.)
Old 01-11-2008, 02:18 PM
durtyred

dang, well by the sound of it i am going to be putting a lot into this stang. its well worth it i'm sure though, i got tax coming up and deployement soon so when i return...... $$$ she's getting most of the doo! as far as the engine goes how much would a new one run me? (to buy and install) and twin turbos is what i'm pushing at. i really need a new shifter NOW though, this one sucks. it feels like i am shifting a stick between stones sometimes lol, but hey that might make me a better speed shifter once i get a new one huh.

Quick Reply: Superchargers VS T Turbos.