4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Benr7132
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension Upgrades?

So...I have a '99 GT, lowered on Eibach springs, but looks like the last owner left in the stock suspension beyond that. Here's my question: What suspension upgrades should I do to help me hook up with the mods I am doing (4.10s, other bolt ons)? What are views on best suspension set-ups out there? What do you think of Bilstein shocks/struts, or is there a better way to go? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Upgrades?

Ive heatd good things about bilsteins. Also get some lower control arms
There are roush LCAs on ebay for $95
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

Bilsteins are awesome, kind of expensive but well worth it. I would also suggest LCA's if you can afford them get the maximun motorsports LCA's. And you might want to look into getting some subframe connectors. That will help a lot with your overall suspension and how well you can launch/turn ect...
Old 01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

BenR!

I went all out and I couldn't be happier!

I bought the Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box Kit!

Strut Tower Brace and Caster/Camber Plates

K-Member, Tubular Lower Arms, Rack Relocator, Sway Relocator, Bumpsteer Kit, Bilstein HD's with Coilover conversion kit, Wilwood SLP 6 Big Brakes with GT rotors

Full Length Sub Frame Connectors, Panhard Bar, Adjustable Sway Bar, Torque Arm, Road Race Lower Control Arms, Bilstein HD's with Coilover conversion kit, Braced Diff cover, 4:10 rear gears, 31 spline axles, Upper Racing shock mounts, Wilwood SLP 4 Big Brake kit.

I guess if I had to describe what the difference was I would say it would be the difference between a butter knife and a scalpel!

John

Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Here's a good link.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/index.htm
Old 01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

billsteins are good but im going with tokico. as far as hooking up the only things you need are the the billsteins, rear lower control arms & tires, and youll grip fine, when i say tires i mean like nitto nt555r's, bfgoodrich drag radials, mt street radials.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Benr7132
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys - I guess I have some more research to do on all the possibilities. Thanks for the resources!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

OOPS! I forgot to ask you if you are going to be dragging or road racing?

John
Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Benr7132
1st Gear Member

Mostly straight line, but interested in improving the handling as well.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 AM
rmr1923
1st Gear Member

you'll definitely want some better lower control arms and subframe connectors. i believe the convertible Mustangs come stock with subframe connectors (no roof = more flexible body) so if you find one in a junkyard somewhere that isn't bent up too bad, you might be able to get the subframe connectors from it. if you're looking for cornering performance, go with some shocks/struts, the Bilsteins are pretty good. the compression and rebound damping on the stock units are pretty weak and if you hit the twisties hard enough you'll just be rocking back and forth. a panhard bar is also a good idea, but i'd definitely do the others first. the back end on my car tends to sway a little bit still, and a panhard bar would help this out a lot but i just haven't had the time to put one on yet. and don't forget good brakes... a fast car is no good if you can't slow it down, so invest in some aftermarket rotors and if you have room in the budget, some new calipers as well. any cross-drilled rotors will be better than your stock ones, there are quite a few brand names out there to choose from. you can get most for under $100 per rotor, i'd recommend at LEAST replacing the front rotors and calipers since they provide most of your car's stopping power.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrades?