4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

n00b PI swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
doggins

Default n00b PI swap

For what I'm assuming you've all heard for the millionth time, I am doing a PI swap into my 97' GT. Right now I'm in the naive excited beginning state and have a few issues. Lets begin:

I picked up a set of PI heads from a guy for $150. One head was slightly rusted and the other one looks pretty good with only a few spots of rust. BTW these heads came with cams springs rocker arms etc. No intake though. I have researched and found that are windsors not romeos.

My first question is, after cleaning the heads with naval jelly to dissolve the rust, is it still advisable to use the stock springs, rocker arms etc. They seem to be cleaning up alright and I intend to replace anything that starts to stick. I looked up comp valve springs and for a set of 16 on ebay they are $177.80. Thats not too bad but is it worth it if I already have the springs I need.

Question 2. It is obvious that replacing the cams with some stage 1 something or others right now would be easy and ideal. Where do you buy these cams or are they all upwards of $600 for a set?
If I do buy the cams I will have to buy the springs (is this a good assumption)?

Question 3. When buying the intake, which I have referred to as a plenum?, I have read some inconsistancies on which one I need. I have the 97 mustang and I guess I need to check if its plastic or not? Also, will the stock valve cover fit or is that a no.

Question 4. What other things do I need before I start this job later on. I am aware I need gaskets and have found a complete gasket set for heads on this car that includes head gasket, intake, valve stems etc from Felpro for $184.94. I have heard that I will need to buy bolts for somethign because I will end up witht the wrong ones.

Also how much is a stage one port and polish which I will probably do? Anything anyone has to say will help me out as I stumble through learning to do this. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Default RE: n00b PI swap

ORIGINAL: doggins

For what I'm assuming you've all heard for the millionth time, I am doing a PI swap into my 97' GT. Right now I'm in the naive excited beginning state and have a few issues. Lets begin:

I picked up a set of PI heads from a guy for $150. One head was slightly rusted and the other one looks pretty good with only a few spots of rust. BTW these heads came with cams springs rocker arms etc. No intake though. I have researched and found that are windsors not romeos.

My first question is, after cleaning the heads with naval jelly to dissolve the rust, is it still advisable to use the stock springs, rocker arms etc. They seem to be cleaning up alright and I intend to replace anything that starts to stick. I looked up comp valve springs and for a set of 16 on ebay they are $177.80. Thats not too bad but is it worth it if I already have the springs I need.

Question 2. It is obvious that replacing the cams with some stage 1 something or others right now would be easy and ideal. Where do you buy these cams or are they all upwards of $600 for a set?
If I do buy the cams I will have to buy the springs (is this a good assumption)?

Question 3. When buying the intake, which I have referred to as a plenum?, I have read some inconsistancies on which one I need. I have the 97 mustang and I guess I need to check if its plastic or not? Also, will the stock valve cover fit or is that a no.

Question 4. What other things do I need before I start this job later on. I am aware I need gaskets and have found a complete gasket set for heads on this car that includes head gasket, intake, valve stems etc from Felpro for $184.94. I have heard that I will need to buy bolts for somethign because I will end up witht the wrong ones.

Also how much is a stage one port and polish which I will probably do? Anything anyone has to say will help me out as I stumble through learning to do this. Thanks for any help!
This may be the easiest way for you to go for right now. It won't be a mindblowing upgrade, but it will give you a little pep!
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

Q#1: you dont need the aftermarket springs with stock PI cams or stage 1 cams, but if they have a lot of miles it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Q#2: you need springs with stage 2 cams, and you can get cams at Cushman Motorsports

Q#3: If you have the aluminum crossover you can just swap it to the new PI intake, or if you have the plastic you have to tap the 2nd sensor in on the PI manifold. And you will need Windsor Valve covers to fit the heads yours are Romeo.

Q#4: That Felpro kit should have all the Gaskets but you will need Head bolts also
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

Q#4: The best thing to do is to buy the head changing kit from summit or ebay about 120 bucks,it has most of the stuff you need.other parts you can pick up at a ford dealer and here are the parts #'s and the items you will need...Coolant Tube Part # – XR3Z-18B402-AA - (1 tube),Coolant Nipple – F75Z-8555-AA – (1 nipple),Alternator Bracket - F8AZ-10153-EA – 96-98 with PI Intake/Al. Crossover - (1 bracket) you dont really need the bracket,i just re-drilled holes in my stock one that was on the car,save 30 bucks,or you can just buy it if you dont want to re-drill it.And you will need intake manifold gaskets.Your O-rings,Valve cover gaskets,timing cover gaskets ect you can all reuse,just make sure you dont rip them we you take them off.That is pretty much all you will need for the swap.Also you will have to drill a hole on you manifold for a sensor.

got anymore questions let me know.Good luck with you swap man.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM
96mod289
2nd Gear Member

if your car had an AL. crossover on your non-PI you shouldnt need a new alternator bracket
Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I had the plastic intake and i got the new alternator bracket and it didnt fit, didnt bolt up to the alternator right so idk. and your heads shouldnt have rusted, there aluminum, unless ur talking bout the valves maybe. I also have a PI intake forsale if you would like it.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Hey Jay, what's going on with your car?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I just put all my stock NPI stuff back on the car. When I pulled all the PI stuff apart I had 3 bent vavles, one broken one, 4 snapped cam followers, and i bent my cam .022. My car is back at %100 now I just have a really small knock. Im pretty sure its coming from the #7 cylinder rod bearing, the valve got hit real bad on that cylinder so I think I crushed a bearing and need to replace it.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

ORIGINAL: JayBanion

I just put all my stock NPI stuff back on the car. When I pulled all the PI stuff apart I had 3 bent vavles, one broken one, 4 snapped cam followers, and i bent my cam .022. My car is back at %100 now I just have a really small knock. Im pretty sure its coming from the #7 cylinder rod bearing, the valve got hit real bad on that cylinder so I think I crushed a bearing and need to replace it.

That sucks. Always hurtsto hear when someone has trouble like you did. Are you going to just look for a complete PI engine? If I had to do it again, that's the route I'd take.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I was planning on keeping the car as a play car after I did the swap. But now its back on the road as my daily driver with 140,100 miles haha. I love it. So Im gonna keep it as it is now till the end of college(4years). Then do a 4v swap with a kenne bell. And this summer I was planning on starting a fox body project in the mean time for shyts and giggles.

Quick Reply: n00b PI swap