4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

> My Car Just Died At The Gas Pumps....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:02 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default > My Car Just Died At The Gas Pumps....

I haven't been driving my car much at all...I've put maybe one tank of gas through it in the past 5-6 weeks. I cleaned it up today, and drove it about a mile and a half to the gas station. It was running perfectly. I filled up, started it, it ran for about two seconds then died. Then it wouldn't start back again. It was turning over, had power, but acted like it wasn't getting any fuel.

I was desperate, and I happened to have my tuner with me. As just a complete shot in the dark, I returned the tune to stock. It started right up, the idle bounced for a few seconds (Which I assumed normal after installing a tune) and then ran fine on the drive home.

I know they would have been useful, but I got two CEL codes while it wouldn't start. I should have wrote them down I know, but I didn't and I don't remember what they were.

I don't understand how the tune, which has been PERFECT for me for almost a year, could have made a difference. [/align]
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default RE: > My Car Just Died At The Gas Pumps....

The tune is no longer suspect. I just reloaded the aftermarket tune and it started right up. Its been idling now for about 15 minutes. The idle started bouncing slightly between about 7-800 rpms, other than that it seems to be running well.

I haven't got a CEL yet, but my tuner found two codes. I've got these same two codes a few months ago and cleared them, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the same two I had yesterday when the car died.

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2
Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Those codes can be remedied by putting a delay on to give the O2 sensors a chance to warm up. This is common with aftermarket headers because of the o2 bung placement. I had the same problem and my tuner tech put the delay on and no probs since!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Those codes can be remedied by putting a delay on to give the O2 sensors a chance to warm up. This is common with aftermarket headers because of the o2 bung placement. I had the same problem and my tuner tech put the delay on and no probs since!
What if I don't have aftermarket headers? I've only got 2/3'rds exhaust.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

just try shifting after 2k rpms, last night i got a CEL and it was bank 2 o2 sensor 1 was slow to respond and i was shifting at 1,500rpm just puttin around town, im sure since the car was cold i wasnt putting enough exhaust down the pipes and the o2 sensor didnt heat up fast enough.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:28 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

What if I don't have aftermarket headers? I've only got 2/3'rds exhaust.
i was assuming you had shorties, hmmm. What's 2/3'rds exhaust???
Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

2/3 he has catback and midpipe.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

Aaaah, new one for me!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I G Joe

just try shifting after 2k rpms, last night i got a CEL and it was bank 2 o2 sensor 1 was slow to respond and i was shifting at 1,500rpm just puttin around town, im sure since the car was cold i wasnt putting enough exhaust down the pipes and the o2 sensor didnt heat up fast enough.
Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I was shifting after 2K On the way to the gas station I drove pretty "Spirited."

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

Aaaah, new one for me!
Noob [8D]

As far as when it died at the gas station; do you all think it is possible that it was unrelated to the CEL/Codes? Do you think it was possible that it was something foreign that clogged my fuel filter then got washed out, or something as stupid as that? What about my fuel pump? How do they act when they start to go out, do they go out and stay out, or do they start working intermittently?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

fuel pump is pretty much going to either work or not work, and once it stops working it usually never starts again.

Quick Reply: > My Car Just Died At The Gas Pumps....