4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TOB question, just replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TOB question, just replaced

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

They likely replaced the TOB and not the retainer too. Assuming that's what happened, these mechanics should know better.

A little grease will quiet it down. Afirewall and quadrant adjuster will also help if not eliminate the noise - but some people still experience noise.
I am not sure what he did, BUT I did take it by his shop and he said there is a little play inbetween the top of the pedal and starting to engage, hence the squeel, the TOB rubbing on the pressure plate. DUH so then he said give it 300 more miles, I have already put 700 on the job, and if the two surfaces do not polish themselves quiet(unlikely he said, but possible) then to get the quadrant, firewall adjuster and new cable, and hell adjust it. Then he said give that 3-500 miles and if its still noisy, relucantly spray some with lithium grease on it and avoid the clutch at all costs. he said go through the clutch cable adjuster removable cover.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Just get a quad/firewall adjuster, OEM cable is fine! STAY AWAY FROM AN ADJUSTABLE CABLE, most are crap!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

They likely replaced the TOB and not the retainer too. Assuming that's what happened, these mechanics should know better.

A little grease will quiet it down. Afirewall and quadrant adjuster will also help if not eliminate the noise - but some people still experience noise.
I am not sure what he did, BUT I did take it by his shop and he said there is a little play inbetween the top of the pedal and starting to engage, hence the squeel, the TOB rubbing on the pressure plate. DUH so then he said give it 300 more miles, I have already put 700 on the job, and if the two surfaces do not polish themselves quiet(unlikely he said, but possible) then to get the quadrant, firewall adjuster and new cable, and hell adjust it. Then he said give that 3-500 miles and if its still noisy, relucantly spray some with lithium grease on it and avoid the clutch at all costs. he said go through the clutch cable adjuster removable cover.
If it's squeeling, it's wearing. I wouldn't wait hundreds of miles.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

u do know your suppose to lube the TOB as well... made that mistake....never had a prob with it... removed the transmisson to fix it...put it backtogeather...****er whinned like a bitch...called up my transmission teacher to be like wtf did i do wrong here...he said if i didnt re lube the TOB it prob would be squeaking
So your transmition instructor told you to put a lubrication on the throw out bearing...which spins...and your not suffering from a slipping clutch?
\\

do u know what it even looks like???

it would have nothing to do with a slipping clutch... the clutch surface touches the flywheel...the TOB is behind the clutch between the tranny...has nothing to do with the acual mating surface of clutch and flywheel
I'm well aware of wtf is going on inside of a clutch assembly...I'm ASE certified andhave a degree in automotive science. Putting an excessive amount ofwet lubricant on a device which spins at a high rate of RPMSwill causesthe lube to fling everywhere.Excessive wet based lube+ friction material= slipping clutch.You should use a dry film of graphite to lube the bearing. You could use a wet based lube, but would have to be EXTREMELY stinggy with the amount your putting on there.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

check the retainer like I said. I will guarantee the retainer has been worn by the beairng like mine. I have the exact same prblem and unless you tighten the cable up it will not go away
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

u do know your suppose to lube the TOB as well... made that mistake....never had a prob with it... removed the transmisson to fix it...put it backtogeather...****er whinned like a bitch...called up my transmission teacher to be like wtf did i do wrong here...he said if i didnt re lube the TOB it prob would be squeaking
So your transmition instructor told you to put a lubrication on the throw out bearing...which spins...and your not suffering from a slipping clutch?
\\

do u know what it even looks like???

it would have nothing to do with a slipping clutch... the clutch surface touches the flywheel...the TOB is behind the clutch between the tranny...has nothing to do with the acual mating surface of clutch and flywheel
I'm well aware of wtf is going on inside of a clutch assembly...I'm ASE certified andhave a degree in automotive science. Putting an excessive amount ofwet lubricant on a device which spins at a high rate of RPMSwill causesthe lube to fling everywhere.Excessive wet based lube+ friction material= slipping clutch.You should use a dry film of graphite to lube the bearing. You could use a wet based lube, but would have to be EXTREMELY stinggy with the amount your putting on there.

lol hey asshat i am also ASE certified..so please spare me... and who said anything about extreme amounts of lubrication.. and i HIGHLY doubt a tiny bit of lube is going to squeeze itself between the flywheel and friction surface of clutch...and if any at all does it will be such a small amount it wouldnt matter... oh and i lubed mine...no clutch problems...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

lol hey asshat i am also ASE certified..so please spare me...

[sm=funnypostabove.gif] I'm ASE certified and I've always lubed the TOB's.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99StangGTTN

check the retainer like I said. I will guarantee the retainer has been worn by the beairng like mine. I have the exact same prblem and unless you tighten the cable up it will not go away
do you know of an easy way to check the retainer? my guess, pull the clutch cable cover off and look in with a flashlight er what? IF the retainer is screwed, trans needs to come out to fix it huh?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

you might be able to see it through the cover. the bearing maybe covering up the affected area. I am actually pulling my tranny out tonight to changeout my clutch and flywheel. I am going to try to lightly blend out the galling on the retainer. I have also read tat the retainer should be lubed. I wouldn't lube the hell out of it but a nice thin coat of grease defintely wouldn't hurt. I wuldnt however grease he bearing as hy are self lubricated ad like what was discussed before It would probably sling grease everywhere making a mess and posibly causing clutch failure
Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

well tomorrow ill see if I can see the retainer from that cover b/c I am NOT removing the trans. I dont have the time nor any place to store it, thanks

Quick Reply: TOB question, just replaced