4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger in the future

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM
gt96blue
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger in the future

My buddy has a procharger and that's what i want to get. So in order to put down some "good" power, I would need to port/polish my stock heads, get an aftermarket cam, PI intake, and i'll be good?

I should also mention, I have 127,000 on my car now, is it still safe?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

If your motor is still in good working condition then you should be fine. I had 101k on my bottomend before I procharged mine.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

as long as you've taken care of the car, it should be fine to supercharge it. you might want to do a compression check just to be sure though. if there's a large variation from cylinder to cylinder, then that's an indication that some of the cylinders are wearing out, piston rings aren't sealing well, etc. it's easy to do a compression check yourself, and it's pretty cheap... just gotta buy a couple tools to do it, you can probably do it for under $25. porting the heads might be a good idea. i know that the intake ports on the non-PI heads flow almost as well as the PI heads, but the exhaust port doesn't flow very well, so a port job would be a good idea if you've got the money for it. and i agree with Eagle2000GT... don't bother with blower cams unless you've got a forged bottom end. you'll definitely gain a lot of power over the stock cams, but it would probably put your power and torque at an unsafe range for the stock internals.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
gt96blue
2nd Gear Member

So if I port my stock heads, get the PI intake, keep my stock cams, and put a procharger on, what's the highest psi i can run and still be safe, and how much power do you think I will put down?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96blue

So if I port my stock heads, get the PI intake, keep my stock cams, and put a procharger on, what's the highest psi i can run and still be safe, and how much power do you think I will put down?

Thanks for the help guys.

Get PI cams as well, especially if you are going to do work to the Heads. The cams are worth 15-20rwhp over NPI cams on a N/A application, so I bet they would give even more supercharged. Plus, you can run them on stock valvetrain components, and you can pick up a used set for cheap- like 50-100 bucks.

PSI all depends on your tune, and nonintercooled or intercooled. The most I would run on a stock bottom end would be 400rwhp. With boltons and esp a port job, you would be looking at easily surpassing this, esp with an intercooled set. So, you would actually have to leave some hp on the table in the tune to keep your bottom end safe.

Which is good, because if you ever go forged, you will have that power right there and just tune it up.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

i'd definitely go with the PI cams.. in fact, i've got a set of CMS cams that should be here within a week or two, and i will sell you my PI cams if you want them. i've got an '02 GT, the motor has about 73,500 miles on it right now, and those cams will probably last longer than most of your other engine components. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
gt96blue
2nd Gear Member

So lets look at it this way: Right now I have an o/r x, slp catback, and cai. If I port my heads, get PI cams, and put a procharger on, approx. where will I be at HP wise? If i'm close 400 im definitely happy.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

if you can get better flow from your heads, that sounds like 400 hp territory to me. you looking at about 8 psi of boost?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM
gt96blue
2nd Gear Member

I'm really not to sure on the boost, any help on that? Also, is procharger a quality product? What about paxton, vortech, what would be good for me?

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:55 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

a lot of guys run Procharger, they're damn good superchargers. any one of those will be good. have you looked at the Mongoose kits? Modular Powerhouse sells them with either a Vortech (V2 i think) or Paxton (Novi 2000), i think they put out anywhere from 6-8 psi of boost. the thing i like about those Mongoose kits is that you get an SCT XCal2 tuner with a custom tune for your vehicle. those guys have put so many Mustangs on a dyno that they havea whole library of tunes, and they're sure to have one for your mods. they run about $4000 for the Vortech and about $4500 for the Paxton, i'm going with the Paxton myself cause i've been told there's more room to go up on boost if i decide to go with forged internals one day.

Quick Reply: supercharger in the future