4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WTF,is my tranny gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
dholmes
I ♥ Acer

Default WTF,is my tranny gone

Ive had my car for about 3months,the car has made asmall whinning sound when I push in the clutch since I bought the car,Had my mechanic drive and he said not to worry about,Cars been shifting/driving great,Well today on my way home,sound was very loud,Car makes whinning sound when Im idleing,louder when I pull the clutch in ,and stutters when going in reverse,problem happed out of nowhere,to me it feels like the tranny's going out,I have no warranty,bought as is,My mechanic checked the car,and so did the dealers when i bought it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Always some drama with me,everday something,for once i would like to buy a reliable car,whatdo u guys think the problem is,hopefully not the tranny,the one on my lt1 just went out and cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: WTF,is my tranny gone

If the transmission is going out, it will usually either grind alot going into gear, or it will pop out of gear/be hard to get into gear. Your problem sounds more like a clutch or TOB issue.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
dholmes
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

If the transmission is going out, it will usually either grind alot going into gear, or it will pop out of gear/be hard to get into gear. Your problem sounds more like a clutch or TOB issue.
the clutch would grindquit a bitbut only going in reverse
Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

[align=left]Yeah it common for them to grind into reverse, but it could be your throwout bearing girdle because it sounds very similar what happened to me. It sounded like a rattling noise at idling and then if I pressed the clutch in it would sometimes get louder or a lil bit less. I'm not really sure but if you can hear it inside the car and outside the car as a tick it might be the girdle.
[/align][align=left] [/align]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vertmustang98gt

[align=left]Yeah it common for them to grind into reverse, but it could be your throwout bearing girdle because it sounds very similar what happened to me. It sounded like a rattling noise at idling and then if I pressed the clutch in it would sometimes get louder or a lil bit less. I'm not really sure but if you can hear it inside the car and outside the car as a tick it might be the girdle.
[/align][align=left][/align]
???

sounds like it is possibly your throwout bearing and your pilot bearing.

time for a new clutch!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 PM
dholmes
I ♥ Acer

When the car is idleingat a stop know it makes a whining sound real loud,How safe do u guys think it is to drive it 2 miles to the shop,Im trying to save 60 bucks ,the cost of a towtruck
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

IF your car makes a sound WHILE IDLING IN NEUTRAL, why in the world would you assume your transmission was going out? Just for future reference, when the car is in neutral, the transmission is doing absolutely nothing.

You are hearing a throwout bearing I bet. Buy a clutch that suites your needs and future mods. It should have a new TOB and pilot bearing included.

You can drive it down the road, but I'd take it real easy on her.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

yup tob.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
dholmes
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

IF your car makes a sound WHILE IDLING IN NEUTRAL, why in the world would you assume your transmission was going out? Just for future reference, when the car is in neutral, the transmission is doing absolutely nothing.

You are hearing a throwout bearing I bet. Buy a clutch that suites your needs and future mods. It should have a new TOB and pilot bearing included.

You can drive it down the road, but I'd take it real easy on her.
When im idleing with the clutch pedal pushed in ,sound stops when clutch is not being touched
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

if it is making a rattling noise too don't pass the throwout bearing girdle because I changed my TOB and clutch and flywheel then a year later I heard a rattling noise and thought it was the TOB it happened to be the girdle that holds it.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: WTF,is my tranny gone