4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thowout bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Throwout bearing noise

ORIGINAL: BatMobile00

what is the benefit of a quadrant though???
Stock quadrantis a POS plastic so it can't hurt to upgrade, but when you do you'll have to add an manual firewall adjuster which is a better way to adjust clutch which in turn may help with throwout bearing noise because you can fine tune it, not a guarantee but extra insurance
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I recently installed a Hays perf clutch kit and a brand new throwout bearing. I have the same trouble as you. I have a firewall adjuster and an aftermarket quadrant and was able to tighten it upa little bit and it went away. You may not have a bad bearing as the dynamics of aftermarket clutches are different than stock. Try a firwall adjuster and see if it helps
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

I agree with you guys on the adjuster.....But

I was told by a few companies that it's not normal for the TOB to squeak. They said by adjusting the clutch via a quadrant w/a firewall adjuster your actually slightly engaging the clutch which makes the noise go away. They said the problem with this is 1. it will prematurely wear out the clutch & 2. you'll have less power to the wheels because the clutch is somewhat engaged all of the time.

I don't know if those are correct statements, but that's what I was told.

BTW, when they replaced my TOB, they gave me the old one back and MAN WAS THAT THING WARPED! It looked like it was almost bent!

I too had the pilot bearing replaced while they were in there.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 AM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

BTW, when they replaced my TOB, they gave me the old one back and MAN WAS THAT THING WARPED! It looked like it was almost bent!

I too had the pilot bearing replaced while they were in there.

about how much did that run you. I don't think I have the time to do it myself, but I have the same problem
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

these damned TOBs, now mines squeels all the time except full engagement, **** is hitting the fan down there, I need some cash ASAP
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Well, since the TOB are junk, what brand has people had good luck with. I'm planning on changing my clutch and tranny soon and want to know which brand bearings are best so i don't have that annoying squeel ever again.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I bought the HD Ford Racing TOB, which is not squeeling b/c its junk, its squeeling b/c the idiot who installed it
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
BatMobile00
2nd Gear Member

sounds like you all should bring your cars to my shop. Ill do it for you if you can bring it to jersey. But anyway, I think im just going to get a spec stage 2 clutch assembly. If that doesn't last then I'll get this quadrant, but I think the quadrant may be a scam.... Doesn't seem worth it.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

well my perf shop was stacked, so they recc this shop and they now realize he is an idiot
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

anyone know the easiest way to remove the top belhousing bolts? im doing a clutch on a friends 01 cobra tomorrow so i will need to remove these. last time i did it i did it from the top with no intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Thowout bearing noise