4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So what is a good excuse for underdrives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:55 PM
romancer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: So what is a good excuse for underdrives?

ORIGINAL: David_K

do you want to be able to do burnouts or launch at full throttle with little or no tire spin.
then i would have to get some badass rims...we all know that baddass rimes=money
Old 03-29-2005, 01:59 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

naw you dont have to getrims yet. unless you plan to go plus size in the future. tell what your plans are for the immediate future and what they are for the long run.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:05 PM
romancer
2nd Gear Member

tell what your plans are for the immediate future and what they are for the long run.
tell you? or my dad? lol

Old 03-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: romancer

Alright, as many of you know I am sixteen, and my car is under warranty. I ordered a MGW short throw am going to order a JLT this friday. I told my dad that there is one more thing i would like to get. This thing is underdrive pulleys. Now with all of the things I have asked for, my dad asked what they did. Shifter because its easier to drive, intake because the car will flow much better. What am i going to say "I want underdrives they slow down power steering and A/C [:'(]" As soon as I say slow down he is going to think i have gone mad. He is going to take the whole idea the wrong way. What do you guys think is a good excuse to give him [>:]
No need to give an excuse, give him a reason. You want a little more oomph and an easy/safe way to do that is to reduce the drag on the motor. That is pretty plain english...and unless you live in desert climate, it will not have a detrimental effect on any of the accessories that are belt driven...or unless you put a huge stereo in. It will also NOT void the warranty. I think he's more concerned about the warranty than anything. Just address his concerns on the front end instead of trying to be sneaky about it. As a parent I sometime ask my kids questions to things I already know the answer to just to see if they are being honest...sneaky I know, but as a Parent I need to know.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:51 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

tell what your plans are for the immediate future and what they are for the long run.
tell you? or my dad? lol

tell me so i can help you with your plans
Old 03-29-2005, 06:03 PM
romancer
2nd Gear Member

oh in the immediate future i want to remove the wing on my car, JLT intake, MGW s/s, get tb/plenum, eibach sportlines, catback(pretty farfetched for now), tint.

in the distant future: gears, rims, tint, forged rods, forged pistons,forged crank, turbo kit, cobra brake system

In the summer i will be working and saving for this stuff...

of course there are many other maintenace things i am going to have to do..but these are the things i want. There are so many things i need to learn however..and that is why i have so many threads.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

so you wanna go the turbo route? one of the select few that i know that like the turbo v8. ok well what i would do is instead of catback is go to your local mufflershop and get flowmasters put on. its cheap, you might get like 2-3 more hp and itll keep you car sounding mean as ****.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
romancer
2nd Gear Member

so you wanna go the turbo route? one of the select few that i know that like the turbo v8. ok well what i would do is instead of catback is go to your local mufflershop and get flowmasters put on. its cheap, you might get like 2-3 more hp and itll keep you car sounding mean as ****.
why flowmasters though?

i didn't think you could get any gains from mufflers?...

and why ditch a meaner sounding catback?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:51 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I guess you could go either way on this one... Underdrives will slow down your Alt. and A/C. I would suppose it would run a little warmer, and if it did, buy a bigger radiator. You can buy an aftermarket large All Aluminum Rad. at Napa for like $100. It flows better than the stock plastic unit, and it's got that brushed aluminum look.

Now as for things like the Crank Pulley, AKA Harmonic Dampener/Balancer, in terms of light weight pulleys, these can, or have been known to cause premature main bearing damage due to the lack of dampening.

Doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen it before. Not sure which UD Pulley set you were thinking about, or if they come w/ the Harm. Balancer, but just a head's up...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Too Slow to Race, so far....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

why flowmasters though?

i didn't think you could get any gains from mufflers?...

and why ditch a meaner sounding catback?

you got the cash for a catback right now? then go get it.

Quick Reply: So what is a good excuse for underdrives?