4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

scraping/squealing noice from back right wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

Default scraping/squealing noice from back right wheel

I've got an 01 GT and coming from the back right wheel there is an awful scraping noise every time the wheel rotates, the faster you go the faster the scrapes are. I put new pads/rotor/caliper on it and it was quieter for about three days. A couple weeks later i got another set of pads and another rotor but same thing. Both times when I took the pads off thethe onesfrom the passenger side looked brand new towards the top but the bottom looked like they had really been dug into. what could this possibly be?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 AM
WhtTrsh

Default RE: scraping/squealing noice from back right wheel

i know this from expirence-the whole hub assembly is bent i am rebuilding my fiancees right now because i slid it into a curb thought i was cool shyt until i fubar-d her rear end gave her new rims and am rebuilding her rear to make the error of my ways right(and not only hub the whold set up need to be rebuilt for good measure
JAKE
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i used to get a screeching noise from that same spot but only under hard acceleration. it went away before i could figure out what it was though [&:]
Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I've got the same problem, and have tried replacing the rotors, calipers and pads before and like you said, it stays quiet for a little while then goes back to the same thing. I'm sick of hearing it and think I might just take it somewhere to have them tell me what is up.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

the abs light and trac light just came on today so i'll take it to ford and maybe it will bring up something useful.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 AM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

have you thought about the parking brake hanging up and not releasing, so your brake is always dragging. I had my passenger side hanging up on my car. I went thru 3 calipers thinking it was that. I just changed the parking brake cable a couple weeks ago and things seem to be working like new again. The brakes arent dragging anymore.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

really. is it hard to change a pb cable? ive never messed with one. but man that thing is definatly slower than it was before so somethings gotta be dragging. i might have to check that out
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

the hardest part is disconecting the cable from the spring on the caliper, but it is about a half hour job.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

just got back from ford, the abs light said that the back left wheel speed sensor was bad and i looked at it and it had a crack running throught it. it dont understand how that could give me all that trouble out of the right wheel?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

It wouldnt. That is just the anti lock sensor. that has nothing to do with the uneven wear

Quick Reply: scraping/squealing noice from back right wheel