4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Closing Driver Door Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
bookzguy
1st Gear Member

Default Closing Driver Door Issue

As of now I have a very annoying problem with closing my driver side door. With the window down it closes effortlessly. The problem comes when closing the door with the window up, I have to literally slam the door shut or it will not complete close the door. When I first bought the car about 6 months ago it was a minor inconvenience but now it makes the car feel cheap. Has anyone have a similar problem with there door and is there a quick fix to make it normal again?

EDIT: I looked at the seals if they bulged or anything but they look the same as the passenger side seals. With the driver side window up it seems that at the top of the glass it is pressing against the top seal causing it to not shut easily. Is there a way to adjust the glass window or anything?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Mjaga251
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Closing Driver Door Issue

i have a 99 gt with a slightly similiar problem. everything looks good, but it's just annyoing. im not sure what's wrong tho, but you're not the only one! however, i can close it with the window up and down just the same....
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
dougs97mustang
1st Gear Member

It may be the bushings it the door or the latch not lineing up just right, with your door open tri lightly picking up on the door, if you have any play the bushings are probly bad.(this will cause your door to drop slightly when you open the door).
Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

is the window leaning inwards too far?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 AM
bookzguy
1st Gear Member

Just went to check the door and I was able to lift it up and down. It also seems the window is leaning a little inward as well. Is this a simple repair or would it be costly?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 AM
dougs97mustang
1st Gear Member

I thing it is the bushing You can take it to the dealership Probly cost you around 200-300 or you could buy the bushing and replace it yourself. its easier to do with 2-3 people so they can help takeoff the door and put it back on. you may have to get the bushing from the dealership tho? How much did it move? could you see the door drop when you opened it. you will probley have to look closely to see it.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 AM
bookzguy
1st Gear Member

The door does drop when I open it. When lifting the door it probably moves about 1/2" to 3/4" at most.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 AM
dougs97mustang
1st Gear Member

definatly bushings, it should not move at all, did you compare it to the passanger side door. did it shut easier while lifting up on it?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
bookzguy
1st Gear Member

It did shut easier. The passenger side door does not move at all. Is the bushing just worn and needs replacing? How difficult is the install if I do it myself?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 AM
dougs97mustang
1st Gear Member

its not to hard, I have not changed one on a mustang but other cars are easy, do you have a hyans repair manual? if not id go to the part store and pick one up. or find a picture on the internet. Im sure you can do it tho. just get somone to help with the door. There is one other thing you can Check, see if the door hinge bolts are coming loose on both the door and the car. Its unlikely but its worth checking.

Quick Reply: Closing Driver Door Issue