4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB/Plenum worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:47 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

Default TB/Plenum worth it?

was thinking of getting TB/Plenum for my 99 gt, it pretty much staying stock except for the 3.73's and O/R X-pipe i am getting it tuned so i would like to know if its worth getting the TB/Plenum before i take it for the tune? if so what is the best bang for the buck and i dont car about looks...trying to keep my spending to a minumim
Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 AM
chrismartintx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TB/Plenum worth it?

801 posts and you forgot the valuble search tool & stickies?!
j/k... nothing personal.

they all make similar numbers... accufab seems to be the best. without f/i no amazing difference though. if you aren't planning on much more for a while i would get the tb first & then tune it.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Pauly_B
2nd Gear Member

like 4 whp gain not worth it. for an accufab tb and plenum u are looking at 500$. even with FI it ain\t worth it unless u got heads and a lower intake. where the air is force in the extra 5-10 mm don't make a noticable difference
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: chrismartintx

801 posts and you forgot the valuble search tool & stickies?!
j/k... nothing personal.

they all make similar numbers... accufab seems to be the best. without f/i no amazing difference though. if you aren't planning on much more for a while i would get the tb first & then tune it.
you obviously don't know. before and after of when i put the accufab on my car WITH a blower was 354RWHP to 360RWHP. i HAD the MAC on there first and the car did 362RWHP, which was a smidgen more than accufab. the guys at the shop offered me a spare accufab at cost so they could put the famous accufab to the test. it does look a lot prettier though.

the only noticable thing you'll get is better throttle response.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

mainly tb/pl is for a good throttle response more so the horsepower

tb/pl throttle response>HP
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

yeah, but the problem with the throttle response, is it makes you think you got a lot more power than you really did. if i didn't see my before and after dynos with it, i would have thought i gained like 15RWHP or something retarded. it definitely FELT like more power than it really was.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

lol well its suppose to.... thats the point of throttle response..its going to hit harder faster lol...u shouldnt expect hp out of them.. just a better hit the gas and go feeling
Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

yeah, but you know how people on here are. they make it seem like it gives you massive amounts of power if you're running a blower already. so i always have to sing it loud and sing it proud that those people are full of shat.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 AM
acertx

I did the proffesional products 75mm throttle body/upper plenum combo off ebay. The throttle response certainly got better and at higher speeds(90mph+) I could tell a noticeable difference. The car didn't seem to fallover as much shifting into 5th around 130 either. The only thing I don't like is the hanging rpms.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

yeah, but you know how people on here are. they make it seem like it gives you massive amounts of power if you're running a blower already. so i always have to sing it loud and sing it proud that those people are full of shat.

yeah understandable lol

Quick Reply: TB/Plenum worth it?