4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Braking system problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default Braking system problem

So i just bought new mach1/cobra calipers and brakes. I have placed them on the car with the steel braided brake lines and bleeded them. I cant get the petal to become stiff while pressing on it. im wondering if theres some air in the system somewhere. anyone have this problem before? a friend told me since they are new calipers, sometimes air bubbles get stuck in them. i bleed both rear brakes to, wondering if thats the problem.

im also wondering if leaving the cap on/off the master cylinder has any effect on this.

I only replaced the front, i didnt replace anything on the rear brakes.

any ideas?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Braking system problem

stupid question... did you get them on the correct side?

I accidentally put em on the wrong side... they won't bleed that way. The bleeder should be at the top of the caliper.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Meatball98
1st Gear Member

Try checking the fluid resevoir. On my buddies 96 Cobra we have the same thing until we bled the resevoir itself.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:29 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

i tried bleeding it with the car on, and nothing changed

and 2000GT, the bleeder is on the top...

the fluid resevoir is ok, i make sure its always full.

heres something tho, my friend told me to leave the top off the master cylinder while bleeding, i spoke to my father and he said theirs a diaphram in the master cylinder, and your spos to leave the cap on... would this be the reason?

on a side note: i had my friend spin the rotor, and i applied the brakes, the rotor held in place, so i know the brakes are "working" the petal is still not firm enough tho, and my friend doesnt have the torque of a v8, so i have a feeling if i were to drive it, the braking wouldnt work as well...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Meatball98

Try checking the fluid resevoir. On my buddies 96 Cobra we have the same thing until we bled the resevoir itself.
hey meatball, how would i go about beedling the resevoir itself?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Bleeding the master cylinder is easy. on the passenger side of theMC are two black rubber covered bleed screws (should look familiar). most kits have two hoses to bleed both ports at once but if you have a single bleeder then bleed from the firewall forward. keep in mind if you drained the resevior enough to push air into the MC, then there could be air in any of the lines and need a re-bleeding all together.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea bleed the mc...i had to do it on mine with my caliper swap
Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
kamelyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshafmil

So i just bought new mach1/cobra calipers and brakes. I have placed them on the car with the steel braided brake lines and bleeded them. I cant get the petal to become stiff while pressing on it. im wondering if theres some air in the system somewhere. anyone have this problem before? a friend told me since they are new calipers, sometimes air bubbles get stuck in them. i bleed both rear brakes to, wondering if thats the problem.

im also wondering if leaving the cap on/off the master cylinder has any effect on this.

I only replaced the front, i didnt replace anything on the rear brakes.

any ideas?
Did you try to bleed the whole brake system? When I installed the stainless steel brake lines I bled the whole system because I couldn't get the pressure to hold.

For our Mustangs you have to bleed LRear, RRear, RFront, LFront due to the reroute of fluid at rear axle.