4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions about lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 PM
bs46488
1st Gear Member

Default questions about lowered car

My mustang has been lowered. When I go over a speed bump regardless of the speed, it is like a death blow. Anyways, 3 quick questions on all of that:

1) I got hung up pretty bad on a speed bump and now I have an exhaust leak coming from the front of the car. Are these related? what could have broken?

2) Sometimes when I go over a bump, you can feel it in the shifter (manual) almost like somebody hit the transmission with a sludge hammer. Is a mount or something broken on the tranny?

3) This weekend I will be install new shocks and struts (old ones are leaking fluid) can I expect any improvement?

I don't expect to fly over speed bumps and for the most part I crawl over the bumps.But sometimes the car feels like it is being driven off the edge of a curb even at almost dead stop speeds.

For the most part, the speed bumps are minor also. The bump that broke my exhaust was major, I almost thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to get me off of that bump and now there is some sort of carnage underneath making my car sound like crap.

Thanks for the input
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 PM
twixxer

Default RE: questions about lowered car

if i were you id just jack it up, or take it up on sum lifts and see wuts goin on under the car, much bettter than havin the boys take random guesses at what you may have possibly messed up.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 AM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bs46488

My mustang has been lowered. When I go over a speed bump regardless of the speed, it is like a death blow. Anyways, 3 quick questions on all of that:

1) I got hung up pretty bad on a speed bump and now I have an exhaust leak coming from the front of the car. Are these related? what could have broken?

2) Sometimes when I go over a bump, you can feel it in the shifter (manual) almost like somebody hit the transmission with a sludge hammer. Is a mount or something broken on the tranny?

3) This weekend I will be install new shocks and struts (old ones are leaking fluid) can I expect any improvement?

I don't expect to fly over speed bumps and for the most part I crawl over the bumps.But sometimes the car feels like it is being driven off the edge of a curb even at almost dead stop speeds.

For the most part, the speed bumps are minor also. The bump that broke my exhaust was major, I almost thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to get me off of that bump and now there is some sort of carnage underneath making my car sound like crap.

Thanks for the input
1. well if you got hung up on it, depending on how bad it is, could of put a hole in ur exhaust or could have knocked a bolt loose. just look under ur car and tighten bolts and look for damage

2. i dont know sorry

3. a big one. should be much smoother
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 AM
effingroovin647
1st Gear Member

1- def sounds like you put a little hole in it, jack it up and get under it!
2- while your down there, check it out haha
3-new shocks and struts should most def make it a smoother ride
Old 02-13-2008, 02:45 AM
6charger8
2nd Gear Member

what kind of springs do you have?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
N2O98gt
2nd Gear Member

make sure you take the speed bumps cockeyed it helps alot, and really slow. I have the same problem in my car but if you just take your time most of the time its not a problem.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
xmikevankuikenx
2nd Gear Member

Heh, I try to avoid all speedbumps, especially with long tubes.Definatelygo over them at an angle and you will have more success.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
bs46488
1st Gear Member

I don't know what type of springs are in it, but my guess would be anything they sold through Ford Racing. The springs are blue if that helps?

I bought this used, so the guy before me did the lowering.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I have Steeda sport lowering springs but never had those kind of problems now low enough on my car i guess so they might be Steeda mine is like a dark blue like navy! What Shocks and Struts are you going to do?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
20StangGT00

The H&R super sports are blue, mine have some white letteringon them that say H&R so when your under there see if you can read anything.

Quick Reply: questions about lowered car