4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

installed gears - tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Y2KGT
1st Gear Member

Default installed gears - tuner

hey my friend and I installed 3.73's just yesterday. i can most def feel the difference. still breaking them in, but i have noise when i deaccelerate especially in 2nd and 3rd. my friend said they should quiet down after they're broken in. is this true? also i'm going to buy a tuner so i can adjust the speedometer. i'm racking up miles on my odometer which isn't cool. looked at alot of the posts and i'm going to go with the SCT Xcal 3. any objections?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: installed gears - tuner

i had the XCal2 and it was ok, i didn't like the lack of end-user adjustability. it let me adjust timing, but i was more interested in fuel adjustments and it only let me adjust fuel at WOT. i'm not sure about the XCal3 though, but i'd recommend using Sniper Special Forces instead. check out the Sniper web site, they've got some pictures and demos, and trust me, this is the last tuning software you'll ever need.

and about the gears, the noise may go away... what brand gears did you put in? some brands are notorious for whining.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Y2KGT
1st Gear Member

i got Ford racing gears
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Benr7132
1st Gear Member

If there is gear noise, it's about the install.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

How much is your speedo off?
I have 3.73's in the garage and was curious
Old 02-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Y2KGT
1st Gear Member

well i got a gps and it tells me my speed. so when i'm going about 80 on the speedo i'm really going 70
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

You probably don't have the backlash set properly, and that is why you are getting noise. Best thing to do is to take the diff. cover off and check your backlash again. It should be around .010 and .015." If it is off, just adjust your shims.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

i had the XCal2 and it was ok, i didn't like the lack of end-user adjustability. it let me adjust timing, but i was more interested in fuel adjustments and it only let me adjust fuel at WOT. i'm not sure about the XCal3 though, but i'd recommend using Sniper Special Forces instead. check out the Sniper web site, they've got some pictures and demos, and trust me, this is the last tuning software you'll ever need.

and about the gears, the noise may go away... what brand gears did you put in? some brands are notorious for whining.
WRONG.
Gear noise is an install problem only. If the backlash is set wrong, they make noise. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. The "break in" crap and "certain brands do it" crap are only BS excuses that hackjob garages use when THEY **** up.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT

ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

WRONG.
Gear noise is an install problem only. If the backlash is set wrong, they make noise. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. The "break in" crap and "certain brands do it" crap are only BS excuses that hackjob garages use when THEY **** up.
[/align][/align]+1 with all "Injected" has said, including the emphasis and expletives--it's refreshing to see someone who knows what they are talking about standing up to the conventional BS!!![/align]
Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Y2KGT
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: installed gears - tuner