4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need opinions on the price on this 99 SVT Cobra (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 PM
karak567

Default Need opinions on the price on this 99 SVT Cobra (pics included)

Saw this at a used dealership this week. 99 SVT Cobra with 54,000 miles on it. There is not a scratch on the car, I went over the entire thing for 15 minutes and I could not find one. It has the 17 " alloy premium wheels as well. Not that it matters but it has a KN air filter, also something in the engine looked aftermarket but I couldn't tell.

It also has a 460 Watt Kenwood Amp with a capacitor (???) installed next to it along with two 8 " subs.

They said that the previous owner had just had the transmission rebuilt/fixed at a reputable shop (I know the shop) because of grinding in 2nd gear and that the transmission is like new. The clutch was very hard and they said this is due to the new transmission?

They wanted 15,900 for it (remember this is a dealer), here are pictures of the engine, tell me if anything else looks aftermarket, my salesman said he would have to check:

Old 04-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Need opinions on the price on this 99 SVT Cobra (pics included)

Looks like a super clean car, but they always are after a wash/steam clean. That car has been RAPED. The reason the trans was rebuilt is b/c the previous owner probably powershifted/was shifting at high rpms from 1-2 A LOT.

It's an awesome price for that car, but be warned, it's hard a hard life already.

Engine looks stock to me... Although, he could have 'converted' back to stock...
Old 04-02-2005, 06:23 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

The car looks sweet, but I'm not diggin the tan interior [:'(]
Old 04-02-2005, 06:24 PM
karak567

The previous owner was supposedly a Mustang freak and completely **** about his car. If the Transmission was fixed for the grinding, then it should be like brand new and that should be a good thing, right?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

SHOULD be.......is the dealer offering a warenty? If not i would buy a GM protection plan (they are the best)
Old 04-03-2005, 06:57 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

try to get 15k for it. personally i wouldnt buy a car w/ tan interior. It looks like it has chrome rims. not alloy
Old 04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

the engine looks stock. the only thing is it probably has a K&N unless someone likes to slap decals on parts that r'nt real. [&:][8D]
Old 04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: karak567

Saw this at a used dealership this week. 99 SVT Cobra with 54,000 miles on it. There is not a scratch on the car, I went over the entire thing for 15 minutes and I could not find one. It has the 17 " alloy premium wheels as well. Not that it matters but it has a KN air filter, also something in the engine looked aftermarket but I couldn't tell.

It also has a 460 Watt Kenwood Amp with a capacitor (???) installed next to it along with two 8 " subs.

They said that the previous owner had just had the transmission rebuilt/fixed at a reputable shop (I know the shop) because of grinding in 2nd gear and that the transmission is like new. The clutch was very hard and they said this is due to the new transmission?

They wanted 15,900 for it (remember this is a dealer), here are pictures of the engine, tell me if anything else looks aftermarket, my salesman said he would have to check:
The fact the tranny has already been replaced/rebuilt and the car only has 54,000 should tell you something about the life it's had. Just becuase the body is immaculate doesn't mean the internals are squeaky clean. I don't know if I buy the Clutch being hard because of the new tranny. Clutch stiffness has to do with the clutch fork, clutch plate, and pivot joint, not the internals. Have your own trusted mechanic give it the once over. The dealer should not have a problem with that.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:44 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

^^^ Definately. for the tranny to be rebuilt i had to have a tuff life. Redline every gear everytime. U just dont know how hard it was driven. get ur mechanic to look @ it first. It was prob. a kids car considering the stereo equip. in the back
Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
karak567

Thanks for the tips guys! :-) I definitely am going to have my mechanic (who I really trust and knows a TON about sports cars) give it a once over. The dealer wants us to have a handshake agreement before I take it there, but I'm not really worried about that. I'm going back Monday for another test drive and to make another offer. I think I am going to offer 14,000 to start, just to give myself some room to work. I don't actually expect to get it for 14,000 but you never know!

I don't plan on driving it TOO hard. It's going to be more of a hobby car I'll take to the track to see how my progress is going and I see it as more of a long term investment and something I can drive around and be proud of :-P.

Oh yeah and the previous owner was a 35 year old man, I checked. However, he had an 18 year old son! I wonder who drove it hard? :-P

Quick Reply: Need opinions on the price on this 99 SVT Cobra (pics included)