4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just dynoed my car with 100 shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Just dynoed my car with 100 shot

ouch, even for a dyno that reads a little low, those numbers are off. You can easilly check your window switch to see if it works.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

The dyno probably isn't off. The true story is with that torque curve, its a downward slope. It should be flat or a slight hump. You're losing torque as the RPMS go up, so thats why you got big torque and low power.

Figure out what is causing you to lose torque with RPM. Once you do, and the engine makes 440 lb-ft @ 5800 rpm, then you should have 485 hp. Or so.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ottos

Once you do, and the engine makes 440 lb-ft @ 5800 rpm, then you should have 485 hp. Or so.
that comment was a joke right?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

The dyno probably isn't off. The true story is with that torque curve, its a downward slope. It should be flat or a slight hump. You're losing torque as the RPMS go up, so thats why you got big torque and low power.

Figure out what is causing you to lose torque with RPM. Once you do, and the engine makes 440 lb-ft @ 5800 rpm, then you should have 485 hp. Or so.
That's not how nitrous works partner. You get a huge spike, then TQ drops off as the RPM's increase. Just the nature of the beast.

Quickshot, just get that thing out to the track, and you'll be able to see how good it runs. The "lean spike" is just something that happens. When you open the solenoids, the N20 comes at 1000psi, while the fuel comes out at ~50psi. Obviously the N20 is gonna get there first, without the fuel, that's where the big jump comes from. As long as it doesn't go TOO long w/o fuel, you're ok. A long N20 line, and a very short fuel line will help
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

That's not how nitrous works partner. You get a huge spike, then TQ drops off as the RPM's increase. Just the nature of the beast.

Quickshot, just get that thing out to the track, and you'll be able to see how good it runs. The "lean spike" is just something that happens. When you open the solenoids, the N20 comes at 1000psi, while the fuel comes out at ~50psi. Obviously the N20 is gonna get there first, without the fuel, that's where the big jump comes from. As long as it doesn't go TOO long w/o fuel, you're ok. A long N20 line, and a very short fuel line will help
Yea I did a quick pull on the highway but besides that it won't see too much street action. I'm definitely one to frequent the drag strip and once it opens back up I'll go down there. Well it might be open this weekend depending on the weather so we'll see

So ZW seeing how you've dealt with nitrous for a while now do you see anything extremely abnormal with the graph?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Since you only have 65 posts, perhaps your not familar with what is good policy on this website (or any other).

If you don't KNOW then do not offer tech advice. Talking about what your brothers girlfriends uncle told you is not knowing... so don't post it up!

Something is wrong with my PC, but if your on some sort of funky dyno, I would do what ZW said and take it to the track. That will tell the real story... dynos are just reference numbers anyway.

In any case, going from 220 WHP to 306 WHP isn't THAT far off for a 100 shot... its probably just a slight difference that day in the dyno.

edit: I can see the dyno now, and I see the problem! Dyno dynamics FTL! I have seen some amazingly low power numbers come out of them, espcially HP numbers. It can't be good when you acutally roll the thing around on the floor... IMO they are no better than the portable dynos at car shows (about the same thing).
Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

In any case, going from 220 WHP to 306 WHP isn't THAT far off for a 100 shot... its probably just a slight difference that day in the dyno.

edit: I can see the dyno now, and I see the problem! Dyno dynamics FTL! I have seen some amazingly low power numbers come out of them, espcially HP numbers. It can't be good when you acutally roll the thing around on the floor... IMO they are no better than the portable dynos at car shows (about the same thing).
Yea like I stated before those dynoes are known to read low so I wasn't worried about the HP number at all, just wondering why the torque peaked so high.

Weird the general consensus among a lot of shops and on other forums is that the Dynamics are a better dyno than say a Dynojet. They say they are much better to tune on and such but w/e doesn't make much of a difference to me lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

Once you do, and the engine makes 440 lb-ft @ 5800 rpm, then you should have 485 hp. Or so.
that comment was a joke right?

Just saying he should do the nitrous shot at a higher RPM for more power.
http://www.go-fast.org/z28/photos/nitrous/n2odyno.gif

IfQuicKShotturned onNOS atsay 4500 rpm andcould make440 lb-ft at 5800 or 5500 rpm, then he'd have 460 - 485 hp. Since 440lb-ft * 5500rpm / 5252= 460hp

Probably an optimistic number but its possible if the shortblock holds... alright, imdone being a smartass.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Everybody does realize that dyno's measure torque and uses that with rpm to calculate horsepower, right? Horsepower is just a figure used to help sell tractors to Farmer John back in the day.

HP = (Torque X RPM)/5252

So using the above calculation with the OPs peak torque:

HP = (490 X 2800)/5252 = 261 HP

Everything adds up to me. I swear it shouldbe a requirement for the dyno owners to explain this to every customer.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick Shot xMLx

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Yea I did a quick pull on the highway but besides that it won't see too much street action. I'm definitely one to frequent the drag strip and once it opens back up I'll go down there. Well it might be open this weekend depending on the weather so we'll see

So ZW seeing how you've dealt with nitrous for a while now do you see anything extremely abnormal with the graph?

You're fine. As long as the A/f is cool, you'll be alright.

Here's my graph on the 100 shot. TQ jumps up big, and drops off.

Quick Reply: Just dynoed my car with 100 shot