4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EVO turbo on my GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Boostn351

Default RE: EVO turbo on my GT

That’s not quite how boost works. You have psi and CFM. Yes, two turbos will give you a higher CFM which will allow you to accomplish the same power with less boost, but it has nothing to do with your displacement. F-body’s have plenty of single turbo kits and they work just fine. In fact with a single turbo you get better spool characteristics and virtually no turbo lag. One big *** turbo = two small ones, and the T16 off an Evo is big enough. A motor that is built for Boost, like an EVO usually runs around 8 – 8.5:1 compression, this will allow you to run a higher psi without detonating. The Evo turbo in question is putting out more than enough boost to blow up a stock 4.6L (higher compression). We will limit the boost using a waste gate actuator set for 8 psi. My only experience with forced induction is on Evo’s, Volvos and GM F-body’s. Give me a Trans-Am and I can give you a grocery list of upgrades you need to do before running a turbo or supercharger. With a Mustang, I am assuming we need fuel Injectors, fuel pump, possibly fuel rails, and an ECU tune. Is there anything else? Can a stock MAF take boost or does it need to be relocated to the low presser side, can a stock manifold handle the boost, is a cam upgrade recommended… Anyone out there running forced induction on a 99-04 Mustang (supercharger or turbo) and if so how much boost are they running and what did they have to modify to take it?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

You need injectors, fuel pump, tune, maf...believe thats it other than the actual FI itself.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Boostn351

AWSOME! Just what I needed to know. Time to get out the welder and make quitbichyn buy some of my extra turbo stuff. The word on the street is 8-10 psi on a stock motor, that sound right?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

You should be fine with 8 - 10 intercooled PSI on the stock motor. The key is going to be in the tune. And you will definitely need to get begger injectors (probably 42#/hr), fuel pump (I think people use two SVT Focus pumps or you could get the pumps from an 03/04 Cobra)and bigger MAF (look into getting the 90 mm lightning MAF,I think that is a common one). I don't have F/I, so I could be a little off, but I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me if needed.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Fobra
Banned

that turbo is not near big enough
Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

just do it right, and get one ment for your car.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

it will cost more than a s/c when its all said and done..just put a nitrous kit on it
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

I'd have to agree with avlon here.. you might be able to make it work, but by the time you make the myriad of friggin adjustments and new fab'd parts you'd need to put a T16 on there it'd cost you just as much as getting a kit from a place like Garrett that's actually made for the 4.6..
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boostn351

That’s not quite how boost works. You have psi and CFM. Yes, two turbos will give you a higher CFM which will allow you to accomplish the same power with less boost, but it has nothing to do with your displacement.
acyually it is. say you have a 2.0 and a 4.6 both n/a. dont you think the 4.6 will have a stronger vacuum?so with that in mind it will take more cfm from the turbo to make, say, 10 psi. if im wrong, someone feel free to correct me.
btw, that is a small turbo. i have several friends with evos(theyre all gay for evos i guess) and ive seen the turbos. they arent that big.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 PM
grubiaco

A 16G turbo isn't that big at all but you can, if you want put it into your stang. You would definately need a fuel pump, injectors, and tune. You possibly might need a fmu. The stock fuel rail should be able to handle your application. If F/I isn't our forte make sure you talk to some more people to make sure it works.
I fabbed up a turbo kit for my buddies car using that turbo and intercooler but his vehicle was a 4 banger.

Quick Reply: EVO turbo on my GT