4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

decided to do it

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default decided to do it

well i was going to pay 150 for install on my rearend but i dont feel like wating. so i called my bmw tech friend and we are going to do it this weekend. im gunna start the tear down sat afternoon and we should have everything done sat night.

4.10 gears
31 splines
the works

i cant wait to drive it. i drove my buddys cobra this weekend with 4.10s and i thought i was gunna knock my teeth out with the wheel hop. dam irs.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 AM
baino
4th Gear Member

Default RE: decided to do it

^suspension upgrade is a must with 4:10s and IRSI learned that also
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i dont have irs my buddy does. but i also am doing suspension upgrades bc i dont wanna run dr. im doing hpm megabite upper and lower control arms, strange 10 ways front and rear and a tubular k member.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

YOu have bigger ***** than me, my friend... I'm scared as hell to touch my rear end. (lol childish grin)
Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

YOu have bigger ***** than me, my friend... I'm scared as hell to touch my rear end. (lol childish grin)
But you have no problem touching mine. J/K Mike
Gears are pretty intimidating but not that hard once you dive into them. I did mine myself 2 years ago and so far so good
Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

That sounds like an offer to do my rear end. Great, I accept, you can do mine... I'll be down when your barn's done!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i am kinda afraid but im just looking at what im saving on it. hes done them before and we all know how advanced the bmws are so thats really why im doing it with him.

if i blow the gears ill put 4.30s in next. but i hope i dont
Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
h0micide
1st Gear Member

nothing like doin it urself.

i love workin on my car, besides the bashing of the knuckles on metal parts and the acceptable "FU*K" right after it.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

It's pretty easy to do the gears yourself. I did mine about a year ago and have had no problems. Here is the link to the instructions I used, they were amazing: http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html

Some tips before you start:
1. Make sure you have a dial indicator (to check backlash) and a micrometer (to measure the shim thickness)
2. Make sure you have a machine shop near by to pull off your old bearings and press on the new ones. You can't do that part yourself without the proper tools.
3. Take your time and do it right the first time, you don't want to have gear whine.
4. Be prepared for the gear oil smell, it is unlike anything else.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

EDIT: Pick up some brake cleaner so that you can clean out the diff., it will make it easier to see what is going on in there and it helps with the smell.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
jagsfan
1st Gear Member

Hey guys. I am new to the forum and I am learning as I go. I have seen a few posts about gearing 3.73, 4.10, etc. I know it sounds ingorant, but are you talking about replacing the entire rear axle of the car? If so what do the numbers represent and what do they get you? I am just trying to learn as I go and I am enjoying reading all the posts.

Thanks in advance.

Jag[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: decided to do it