4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

VERY interesting conversation with a dealer. NEED help PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
karak567

Default VERY interesting conversation with a dealer. NEED help PLEASE.

So you guys remember my post about the 99 Cobra? I called the dealer back today and told him I was very interested but wanted to make sure we were in the same price range and that 15,900 was just too much for my budget. So I told him I was looking at paying only around 14,000. He says "Ok, let me talk to my boss and I'll call you back" Less than an hour later he calls back and says "We'll give it to you for 14,000 and we will throw in 2 brand new tires to replace the old ones on the back."

WOW, that was WAY too easy.

There HAS to be something wrong with this car, agreed? I mean I test drove it and all, and it drove fine, except for a hard clutch and some skidding in the rain (had crappy old tires on it) and the newly repaired transmission for grinding in 2nd gear.

I then spoke to the owner of the mechanic shop I use today. He said he'll admit he's biased because he owns Corvettes, but he isn't a huge fan of Cobras. He also said the clutch on the Cobra is a hyrdolic clutch, so that it is hard because it needs to be "broken in" is BS and this might mean the hydrolic center (he used some other name for it) on the car MAY be going which is an expenisve part to replace. He also said they will do a 22-point inspection on the car for me but that if we decide not to buy it the dealer might keep our deposit on us.

What do you guys think? This deal seems too good to be true and it's scaring me. Run away, quickly?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: VERY interesting conversation with a dealer. NEED help PLEASE.

Well first of all, Mustangs have stiff clutches to begin with and that is the feeling that they have. As far as the price and how willing they were to get rid of the car, I would definetly look into it a little more. It might be just something that has been on their lot for a while and want to get rid of it. If they were that easy to give it to you for that price I would try to go lower with it. When you go in to look at it tell them that you need the tires and 13 1/2. See what they say....who knows you might get a better deal on it.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

14k, 99 cobra? its an ok/good deal, nothing to throw a party over, certainly not a rip off if the car is in good shape.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

14k isnt exactly a steal, so don't be wary of the price... dealers make near twice as much on used cars vs new so its easy to talk most down on used cars - especially new car dealerships. As for your shop owner guy, umm well 99 Cobra's don't have hydraulic clutches so don't worry with that... and if he LOOKED at the car and gave you that diagnosis then you should find another shop. Only parts in the hydraulic clutch system are the master and slave cylinder and hose connecting the two. They don't "break in" or whatever.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
karak567

Well what he said about the hydraulic clutch is something about the "flague cylinder" going bad? The guys at the DEALERSHIP are the ones who told me that it needs to be broken in. My mechanic said they do NOT need to be broken in. The clutch was REALLY stiff.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Swells 03 GT
1st Gear Member

For one 99 Cobras didn't hold there value as well as say a 01. Two a dealer doesn't care what kind of car it is. He probably got it at acution for 12k and is still making 2k off you which is good for him. Three the whole thing with the boss is a bunch of BS he doesn't have to talk to anyone as long as he turns money over on it. And last do let him know your interested in buying the car. Just screw with him more then he is going to screw with you... say 13,800 and if he says no then say alright... well I gotta go I found one for around this price range... he will call you in a half hour if he really wants to sell a car, and his comment will be, "Well I talked to the boss and he said I could get rid of it for 13,900".

How many miles?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 PM
karak567

54,000 miles on it. We are making him call us back, we aren't calling him. I gave him some BS that the family budget won't support it and he knocked the price down.

We think we might get it for 12,500 and at most 13,500 plus the two new tires.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Swells 03 GT
1st Gear Member

Yeah I looked at a 99' with 68,000 on it and they wanted 11,985 for it... So you can get them down. They really didn't hold there value at all which is pretty gay.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

they didn't hold their value because nobody wants them. anybody that wants to buy a used cobra is typically looking for the '03'04 with the tremec T56 and the supercharger. if you make a car that much better the previous one won't hold value. A brand new fully loaded GT from a dealership goes for about 18k now that the 05 is out.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:21 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Just have them put in wrinting that the concern you are worried about is just something that needs to be broken in and if it does not go away or is found to be a problem other than breaking in, they will fix it for free.

Quick Reply: VERY interesting conversation with a dealer. NEED help PLEASE.