4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP ME! Loud noise from rear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Default HELP ME! Loud noise from rear!

Took the car for a spin this afternoon, it was fine. But when i took my gf home tonight there was a loud pitch whine noise coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like if you were to turn your ignition on and you hear the fuel pump noise, but it doesn't go away. The car smells like raw fuel, could be the exhaust leak, i know thats gotta get fixed. The only codes the car is throwing is rear 02's(p0136, p0156) I think my mils are bad though so i don't think that has anything to do with this, not sure. The noise is definetly louder outside of the car and even louder when you are at the rear abd bend down. Fuel pump is going bad? Really not sure what to think have never heard this before. Starting to get a lil scared.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
smoke96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP ME! Loud noise from rear!

same problem for 4 months now but i couldnt get it into words. waiting for a response. my boss told me i might need a new fuel pump.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Thats what i thought right away and what my dad said but idk. It sucks tommorow i am gonna jack the rear up and hop under there and take a look around see if i can pin point the sound but im beggining to think its the fuel pump.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

I would try a fuel filter first because its about $8 and it would more than likely fix it, butwhile the car is making the noise bump the tank to be sure that it is in the tank you will hear a difference in the noise. If the fuel filter dont fix all i can say is run it low on gas and put a fuel pump in it.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Ugg the fuel filter is brand new changed 1k miles ago, but i guess i can give it a try. Its almost like a siron like noise. Kind of flickering in and out. And when you press the brake it effects the noise.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Well If the fuel filter isnt that old i wouldnt replace it i know that a lot of people hardly ever change them, Have you bumped the tank to see if the noise changes. i think the noise would change because the brakes work off the power steering pump and it puts a load on the engine when you mash them on turn the steering wheel. Is the car running good other than the noise.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Just ran outside turned the car on, tapped the brake, noise goes deep, no brake noise is high pitched. Then i hopped under the car and the noise is definetly coming from the passenger side, bottom corner of the fuel tank. I'm almost positive its the fuel pump.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

I guess what i should be asking now is how hard is it to change a fuel pump?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
smoke96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangEatsRice

Ugg the fuel filter is brand new changed 1k miles ago, but i guess i can give it a try. Its almost like a siron like noise. Kind of flickering in and out. And when you press the brake it effects the noise.
same exact problem, and when you put your hazards on it goes in and out.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
smoke96
2nd Gear Member

you gotta get under the rear, drop the tank, pull out the whole assebly, disconnect the wire,pull off the filter and change that, then pull out the fuel pump (if you need a pic just got to google or cjponyparts.com), replace it. when you put the fuel tank back in you will need someone to help you.

Quick Reply: HELP ME! Loud noise from rear!