4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blown Engine??? Maybe. ***Updated***

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: Very scary, Might have blown a cylinder

oh ok didnt realize you had an 04, idk then....i just know when i blew mine out on my 99, the plug was smashed just like that...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

could be a foreign object in the cylinder , take a telescoping magnet & feel around the inside of cylinder .
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

hahahah go down the same road, get on it agian, and see if it happens again and if it does then just sell the car and buy a new one!!!! and put a sign that say for sale...NEW SPARK PLUGS!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: prochargedGT

hahahah go down the same road, get on it agian, and see if it happens again and if it does then just sell the car and buy a new one!!!! and put a sign that say for sale...NEW SPARK PLUGS!
Nice, I wasn't thinking along some different lines. But I guess thats one option.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

hahah thats messed up....i kinda got shafted like that with my car....when i picked it up, it had bald rear tires, they were pretty much slicks...a cracked intake manifold with a jb weld job....leaking head gasket (not blown yet, but leaking in the corner)....the gas tank leaked because that rubber piece was dry rotted.....the pioneer cd player only half way worked.....it was a freaking wreck!! but ive got that all straightened out now, new manifold, new head gaskets, new tires, new cd player, new rubber piece for the gas tank....all my interior vents are busted though, idk how that happens...they still work, they just dont adjust or they fall out lol....its a messsss ...people get tricky when they sell cars!!!

oh and cant forget it had gears and no tune and i didnt know anything about the car so they said "you just need a cheap platic piece to put in the tranny to fix it" instead of "it needs tuned, or you need to get a speedcal which looks complicating as hell install"
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I would never do that to someone. Worst case scenario, I "have" to get a forged short block.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

I got screwed out of my contour svt. ton of crap wrong with it. The guy pretended like he didn't know anything about cars, and said it needs a little work. Yeah, I saw the body damage and some rust, but I have a ton of other crap wrong with it as well. If this can last me 3 winters, I'm leasing a Fusion or something.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

I would never do that to someone. Worst case scenario, I "have" to get a forged short block.
that wouldn't be so terrible now would it? unless you don't have the money for it of course. the only time i've had a plug get hit like that is when i had a rod break and the piston just slammed into the head (circle track engine at 8000 rpm... that was a pretty sight. i actually found a pushrod inside the cockpit, guess i got lucky i wasn't wounded).
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

all my interior vents are busted though, idk how that happens
that's happened to my car and i've owned it since it was new. i replaced a couple of them, but they were like $40 or something like that so i just said screw it and the last time a couple of them cracked i just left them there. my a/c vent to the left of the steering wheel doesn't have a vent, i just left it open (i can still adjust it with the slider to close it and adjust how much air flows out). i don't know why the vents above the radio keep breaking... a guy at the parts dept told me that he's seen a lot of that with Mustangs over the last 5 years or so. maybe Ford is using the revenue from a/c vent sales to fund development on an FRPP ported head for the 4.6 2v engines[&:]
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Your piston will not contact the sparkplug if you had the proper size sparkplug in. The only way to get damage to the sparkplug like that is if a forgen object got into the cylinder.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine??? Maybe. ***Updated***