4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need fuel sending unit help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

Default need fuel sending unit help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 96 gt that reads over full all the time on the gas gauge I have unpluged all the sensor wires and a guy at a classics shop told me that if I unpluged them that the gauge should go to zero but it didn't also he said that if it is reading over full then there is a short somewhere I find that hard to believe but anyway how in the world do I fix it or what in the world is wrong with it please tell me that I don't have to buy the sending unit I am looking for any other possible answer that is alot cheaper then that...........
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need fuel sending unit help!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe its the float...take it somewhere and get it looked at thats the easiest way...
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

Well I am more of a fix it urself kinda guy I hate letting anyone touch my car I know what has been done to it I know how it was put on and how it was treated during its time being worked on. Thanks for the advice I will look into the float though maybe if I drop the tank again I will take the sending unit out and take a peek and see if I can fix its malfunction myself hopefully a new sending unit is way over priced and I belive that it can be fixed rather easy if anything.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:43 AM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johndeeregreen

I have a 96 gt that reads over full all the time on the gas gauge I have unpluged all the sensor wires and a guy at a classics shop told me that if I unpluged them that the gauge should go to zero but it didn't also he said that if it is reading over full then there is a short somewhere I find that hard to believe but anyway how in the world do I fix it or what in the world is wrong with it please tell me that I don't have to buy the sending unit I am looking for any other possible answer that is alot cheaper then that...........
There is a phrase that I learned in the military and I remember and apply...

"DC dies and AC lies"

What that means is when power isnt connected to the instruments they will fool you. I would find the wires in the plug to the feul gauge and measure the ohms from the sender. I would then ohm it with the tank at full to see what the reading is. This would tell you if the sender is working anyway.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:14 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

very nice way of putting it I too was in the millitary and there is a saying also there no matter how much you work on it and how pissed you get at it its always gonna be the same piece of SH** it was when you started and when you go back to working on it! "I was on the kennedy" if ya can't tell..... thanks for the input man I will do that when I get a chance were the tornado's leave us all alone and stop raising hell. I will definetly do that